FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control. FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC. With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
FMC Research & Development, Fungicide Discovery Biology is looking for Associate Scientist to join our collaborative team at our Stine Research Center in Newark, Delaware. The mission of the Fungicide Discovery Group is to discover new fungicide active ingredients qualified for commercial development. The successful candidate will work both independently and under the supervision of a Senior Scientist on projects related to the discovery, optimization and characterization of safe and sustainable new plant disease control technologies.
Working in a team environment, the successful candidate will have job responsibilities which include but are not limited to the following:
- Development and implementation of growth chamber and greenhouse bioassays to detect the effects of chemicals on crops and pathogens
- Compound dilution, preparation, formulation and application of test solutions
- Designing, implementing and analyzing experiments to answer specific research questions
- Coordination of all testing needs including plant and pathogen propagation and maintenance
- Data collection, collation, analysis and generation of reports using various software tools
- Summarization of technical results for diverse audiences in both internal and external meeting formats
- Troubleshooting impediments to successful test implementation and devising improvements in testing protocols
- B.S. with 2+ yrs experience or an M.S. in Plant Pathology, Agronomy, Botany or related discipline with a working knowledge of plant pathogens of major crops and their control; specific experience with crop protection compounds is an advantage but not required.
- Basic laboratory skills, including but not limited to analytical weighing, sample preparation and dilution, treatment application, pathogen culture and maintenance, and disease evaluations
- Demonstrated ability to work safely in a fast-paced team environment
- Willingness to work with chemicals of unknown toxicological hazard in accordance with strict safety measures
- Familiarity with and interest in conducting greenhouse, controlled environment chamber, and/or field trials with experimental chemicals
- Strong critical thinking capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good computer skills with an ability to learn new proprietary software
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment to achieve group objectives; ability to share technical knowledge with others and promote the development of the team
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive – regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.