Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science, starting with our proprietary gene therapy for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, a Novartis company, is dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product is a proprietary gene therapy approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of pediatric patients with SMA. In addition to developing a treatment for SMA, AveXis also plans to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
AveXis Global Engineering & Facilities is seeking a Director to lead the Capital Planning and Project Execution for the Longmont Manufacturing site and the San Diego Research & Development site. The individual will lead a team of site-based staff to assure the delivery of capital projects, manage the regional capital planning and budgeting, and support the continuous improvement of capital delivery business systems. The incumbent will be a member of the site Global Engineering & Facilities (GEF) team and have accountability for the success of the GEF organization.
- Drive site-based capital engineering projects including responsibility for Engineering & Facility resources and aligning supporting and customer function resources to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
- Collaboratively manage the site and maintain strong working relationships with all client representatives.
- Direct the Global Engineering Projects team (4-8 staff) providing clear, consistent leadership, management and mentoring.
- Manage the project portfolio ensuring appropriate division of work among the Project Managers and overseeing the portfolio project ensuring on scope, delivering on time and within budget.
- Provide technical expertise to internal and external customers.
- Develop project objectives working with user requirement and business plans.
- Collaboratively manage the site-based capital budget including the annual operating plan development; project justification; project cash flow (commitment, spend and invoice), on-going maintenance of the budget and all associated reporting.
- Prepares, owns, and maintains budgets for the San Diego capital portfolio.
- Reports on portfolio performance for GEP and site leadership.
- Prepare contingency plans and logically work through complex issues.
- Drive continuous improvement into the engineering execution lifecycle to reduce total overall cost while improving efficiency.
- Identify and report on lessons learned after the project close-out.
- Drive operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Provide engineering input if required into the site Validation Master Plan and assist with maintaining all relevant equipment in a validated state.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or similar with a minimum 15 years of experience in management of facilities, engineering or related field or equivalent experience. Advanced degree such as an MBA would be an advantage.
- Deep knowledge of facility infrastructure and operations including GMP production area support in biotech/biopharma industry, business management, and construction management.
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate on cross functional teams (e.g. Research & Development, Manufacturing) in a fast paced, dynamic team
- Strong interpersonal and excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- A “can do” attitude and a willingness to do what it takes to achieve personal and organizational goals and overcome obstacles.
- Working knowledge of principles and practices of project management, business administration, procurement, contracts, financial principles and practices.
- Knowledgeable of health, safety and environmental regulations, and FDA (and similar) cGMPs.
- Strong knowledge of architectural finishes and components.
- Planning, problem analysis, and decision-making skills.
- Proficient computer skill utilizing MS Office suite applications, Building Management
Systems, and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Customer service focus.
- Ability to adapt in a constantly evolving environment.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate’s qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.