The purpose of this position is to harness the skills of an experienced RN HOPS who recently retired but has a desire to transfer knowledge to newer nurses within the organization. Provides regular professional nursing care to patients undergoing diagnostic or therapeutic services to hospitalized patients in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Assesses patient; completes nursing assessment, documents findings in patient records and notifies physician of abnormal findings.
- Establishes a care plan in collaboration with the patient, family and health care team.
- Coordinates ongoing care. Identifies discharge needs and facilitates discharge planning as appropriate.
- Provides telephone triage and call rotations per department needs.
- Performs nursing procedures and treatments as directed by physician or LIP in the treatment and management of patient care.
- Evaluates, initiates and maintains standards of care consistent with CCHS policies and procedures.
- Assists with specialized patient care equipment as required by the clinical department and medical specialty assigned.
- Administers medications and treatments as ordered by a physician or LIP.
- Directs, coordinates and participates in the evaluation and supervision of nursing care provided to patients.
- Establishes patient care priorities and delegates nursing activities according to the patient needs and staff qualifications and capabilities.
- Serves as charge nurse when assigned to ensure efficient operations and continuity of care.
- Participates in education, research and performance improvement activities. Provides health education to patients and families.
- Develops, evaluates, adapts and documents education to meet learning needs and abilities of patients and families.
- Assists in the preparation of department specific education for patients and colleagues. Covers other nursing roles in the department.
- Maintains core competency in nursing (CPR, skills labs).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
- BSN preferred.
- Current state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN).
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required. In areas performing moderate sedation procedures must have current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) Certification.
- In areas operating with Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters (PICC Lines), Certified Registered Nurse Infusion (CRNI) or Vascular Access Board Certified (VA-BC) certification is preferred.
Competencies (Complexity of Work):
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a RN HOPS position at the Cleveland Clinic immediately prior to retirement.
- Current demonstrated clinical competence.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Requires full range of motion, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time.
- Requires corrected hearing and vision to normal range.
- Requires some exposure to communicable disease or bodily fluids.
- Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities