- Mountain View, CA
Apply for this job
The successful applicant shall support the development of Human Space Flight Life Support chemical and scientific research including the design, assembly, and testing of electrical and data acquisition systems for chemical and scientific Life Support hardware concepts and applications.
The successful applicant will have a background in electrical and test engineering of small scale experimental systems that include but are not limited to components such as pumps, compressors, heaters, cooling systems, thermal sensors, humidity sensors, etc. and will aid in the design, build, and testing of air treatment systems that will involve but are not limited to liquid chemisorption, solid physisorption, and CO2 removal from an air stream via deposition by freezing.
The successful applicant will be comfortable performing hands on work which includes the assembly, wiring, and testing of simple mechanical assemblies and data acquisition systems that include both data loggers and Labview software/hardware.
The incumbent shall:
- Provide technical support in the assembly and disassembly of laboratory hardware which can include data acquisition and control systems, preparing and conducting of laboratory experiments, design of laboratory test systems, and planning of projects.
- Drawing of schematic diagrams, procuring and assembling electrical hardware components and sensors, modification of existing systems, and programming data acquisition and control software.
- Use National Instruments hardware and software, including power, digital to analog and analog to digital conversion.
- Use pressurized gas systems, thermal systems, process controllers, pneumatic and solenoid valves, pressure transducers, thermocouples and thermistors, and gas-phase chemical sensors.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and apparatus in working order, and maintain a safe and organized laboratory area including clean-up of hazardous spills.
- Perform compilation and evaluation of data from and in support of hardware testing and evaluation, and prepare data for reports and presentations.
- Prepare lists of items required to conduct laboratory experiments, and shall obtain product information, identify vendors and suppliers, assist in the preparation of material and supply acquisition, and order materials and equipment to maintain inventory.
- On occasion, shall be required to work either extended hours or an adjusted shift to either early morning or late at night during periods of equipment and process testing.
Bachelor's degree with at least 2 years of experience in Electrical Engineering.
- Electrical and test engineering - strong hands-on experience getting equipment/hardware systems working well
- Experience designing, building, wiring, assembling and testing of mechanical assemblies and data acquisition systems
- Hardware control - thermal processing systems
- Working experience with LabView software in both data acquisition and hardware systems control
- Experience creating electrical wiring diagrams as well as P&ID diagrams
- Must have knowledge of computer operating systems and applications to include Microsoft Office.
- Strong ability to work independently with minimal instruction, easily adjust to changing plans and activities, learn new skills and move into new areas of research quickly and independently, and to follow written or oral instructions by supervisors as needed to participate in laboratory investigations.
- Ability to communicate well orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact with others (co-workers, supervisors, other NASA agency personnel and the general public) to include courtesy, tact and diplomacy as needed to provide/gather information and establish effective working relationships.
Desired Education, Experience, Skills or Training:
- Experience building to NFPA 79: Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery
- Small scale experimental systems testing and troubleshooting
- Design/build/testing of air treatment systems
- Components such as pumps, compressors, heaters, cooling systems, thermal sensors, humidity sensors
- Experience calibrating/characterizing/working with mass flow controllers/meters, pressure controllers/transducers, power meters, solenoid valves, relays, RTD's, heaters and high temperature devices
- Experience with Control Panel wiring and testing
- Writing python scripts for test automation and hardware control
- Experience with NI-RIO DAQ devices
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
KBR is a global provider of differentiated professional services and technologies across the asset and program lifecycle within the Government Solutions and Energy sectors. KBR employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide (including our joint ventures), with customers in more than 80 countries, and operations in 40 countries, across three synergistic global businesses:
Government Solutions , serving government customers globally, including capabilities that cover the full lifecycle of defense, space, aviation and other government programs and missions from research and development, through systems engineering, test and evaluation, program management, to operations, maintenance, and field logistics
Technology Solutions , featuring proprietary technology, equipment, catalysts, digital solutions and related technical services for the monetization of hydrocarbons, including refining, petrochemicals, ammonia and specialty chemicals, as well as inorganics
Energy Solutions , including onshore oil and gas; LNG (liquefaction and regasification)/GTL; oil refining; petrochemicals; chemicals; fertilizers; differentiated EPC; maintenance services (Brown & Root Industrial Services); offshore oil and gas (shallow-water, deep-water, subsea); floating solutions (FPU, FPSO, FLNG & FSRU); program management and consulting services
KBR is proud to work with its customers across the globe to provide technology, value-added services, integrated EPC delivery and long term operations and maintenance services to ensure consistent delivery with predictable results. At KBR, We Deliver .
Apply for this job