Exceptional Student Services Teacher
An outstanding Exceptional Student Services (ESS) Teacher for GlobalED Solutions demonstrates content knowledge and excellence inside the virtual classroom, and also thinks outside the box and thrives on positive change and challenges. Unconditional commitment to the success of students is absolutely necessary. The ability to motivate students in a distance learning environment and the willingness to be flexible and help them become self-disciplined and effective time managers is essential. Our teachers must have advanced skills in technology so they can focus more on student learning than on the tools of instruction. Patience and an aptitude for technical troubleshooting is a must. Under the direction of the Exceptional Student Services Director, the ESS Teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provide specialized instruction for students with disabilities, such that the students benefit from the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aids, accommodations, and other needed supports.
What does the GlobalED Solutions Exceptional Student Services Teacher do?
The following essential duties describe the general nature and level of work required for this position. These statements are not intended to be all-inclusive.
As a collaborative member of the Exceptional Student Services Team, the ESS Teacher will consult with families, GlobalED Solutions (GES) staff, CDE’s Special Education/ESS Unit, and school districts across Colorado in order to provide an educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth. This person is responsible for overseeing the organization and implementation of Exceptional Student Services for moderate and mild needs students in an online setting in accordance with GES, Las Animas School District, and state and federal policies and laws; this person abides by and supports the vision, mission, values, policies and procedures of GES, and GES’s chartering authority, as well as relevant state policies and regulations.
The following essential duties describe the general nature and level of work required for this position. These statements are not intended to be all-inclusive. These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to and is supervised by the Exceptional Student Services Director.
- Manages the incoming student applications for those with IEPs, running Enrollment Determination Staffings, and assisting with the distribution of students on IEPs to teacher caseloads.
- Coordinates, communicates with, and oversees the use of consultative services for students on IEPs statewide (PT, OT, SPL, Therapists, etc.).
- Collaboratively plans for and guides Exceptional Student Services programming and activities which contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences and successfully achieve their ICAPs and IEP goals.
- Assists in obtaining internships for students on IEPs when necessary.
- Identifies and modifies instructional resources to meet the needs of students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Continuously monitors and assesses student learning and makes appropriate modifications to meet student needs.
- Reports GES' progress on a quarterly basis using the Alpine program, and submits those results to the Las Animas School District and GES files.
- Ensures student growth and achievement is monitored on a continuous basis pertinent to appropriate age group, subject area, and/or program classification.
- Demonstrates a high level of encouraging parent and family involvement in each student’s experience with and commitment to educational opportunities in GES.
- Maintains up-to-date, accurate, effective and efficient record-keeping procedures.
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits, including but not limited to: meeting deadlines for IEP meetings and paperwork, honoring schedules, and coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner.
- Develops and seeks-out best practices which can be adapted for the online medium.
- Attends trainings through GES and through the Las Animas School District for necessary professional development, as deemed appropriate by supervisory staff members.
- Ensures total compliance of GES-submitted IEPs to the Las Animas School District prior to submission, and makes corrections when necessary.
- Prepares for, attends, and debriefs or makes corrections for all Las Animas School District audits related to IEPs.
- Keeps accurate and up-to-date records to ensure compliance for internal “site visits” from the Las Animas ESS Director twice per year.
- Assists in the scheduling of and possible completion of vision and hearing screenings as required for all students at GES.
- Participates in RtI Committee at GES and will be available for RtI meetings (both trainings and student intervention teams).
- Ensures GES ESS policies are aligned with policies of the Las Animas School District, but specific to GES’s unique environment, while still ensuring the policies meet state and federal law and guidelines.
- Attends bi-weekly Cabinet Meetings and any other necessary administrative meetings at GES.
- Researches, requests, and maintains knowledge of budget proposals for department, and communicates needs and expenses to ESS Coordinator at GES.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Assists in student recruiting and retention.
- Assists in the Communication efforts of the school.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with students, parents, and GES staff to enhance the instructional environment.
- Maintains a high level of communication (both verbally and in writing) with other GES staff, students, and parents to deliver program information and address individual student needs.
- Models professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, staff, the Las Animas School District, and community.
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits, including: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrating respect for others.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What your days will look like:
- Site-Based Tutoring and Online Instructional Support
- Facilitating Staffings, Conferences, and Meetings
- Case Management | Progress Monitoring
- Academic, Social-Emotional, and Behavioral Intervention
- Supporting Access to the General Education Online Curriculum
- Traveling | Home Visits
- Gmail and Maestro Student Information System Documentation
- Non-structured (Flexibility)
- You will be supported and mentored directly by the Exceptional Student Services Director
What You'll Do. What You’ll Get Good At Doing.
- Online Curriculum and Site-Based Instructional Support
- Multidisciplinary Team Participation
- Evaluating Student Performance Data
- Employing Learning Strategies and Techniques
- Online IEP Case Management
- Teaching and Modeling Socially Acceptable Behavior
- Enrollment Determination Meetings
What You'll Need. What You’ll Contribute.
- Staffing, Meeting, and Conference Coordination
- Compliance (Integrity), Competency, Consultation, and Collaboration
- Goal Accomplishment | Outcomes | Data Interpretation
- Support General Education Online Teachers and Enrichment Life Coach Teachers (ELCTs)
- Travel Ability (Community Engagement Zone Visits)
- State Testing Proctoring and Staff Support
- Routine Electronic Tracker Monitoring and Report Generating
- Master's or Bachelor's Degree in ESS/Special Education.
- Additional degree in a subject area such as Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, preferred.
- Generalist K-12.
- Current Colorado teaching license.
- At least two years experience working in a school or organization with at-risk youth, preferred.
- Strong background of educational systems experience in the writing and formation of Individual Education Plans, 504s, and Gifted and Talented Plans.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations, Other:
- Licensed as a Colorado Secondary Grades 7-12 Educator with Endorsement in area of teaching responsibility (ESS), or current enrollment in an Alternative Licensure Program.
- Must pass a fingerprint-based CBI and FBI background check.
- Must submit resume, cover letter indicating content area, and three current letters of reference (within the last 12 months).
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license. Must maintain insurance in accordance with state and organization requirements and maintain automobile in good working order.
- ESS Teacher position openings are currently in Pueblo, Colorado ONLY.
- $45,000 base with adjustments for relevant experience and education, with Bonus Opportunities.
- Competitive Insurance and Retirement Options offered.
- Full-Time. Exempt.
- Part-Time. Exempt.
- This is not a traditional 8am - 5pm working environment. The role of an Exceptional Student Services Teacher requires flexible time accommodations based on others’ needs.
Who we are. Who we want to become. Why we need you.
We empower students through the delivery of innovative/engaging education support services. We are changing the way people think about Education. Not long ago, learning was often monotonous and inflexible. GlobalED Solutions provides opportunities for successful learning anyplace and at anytime. We are part of the new education paradigm that seeks to ensure that every student has, regardless of neighborhood, economic reality, or social status, the opportunity to access cutting-edge, world-class learning.
For people who work with GlobalED Solutions, our organization represents new opportunities for the entrepreneurial-minded, out-of-the-box thinker who realizes the world is the new classroom. For families that work with GlobalED Solutions, we bring access to fun and exciting learning; for communities that work with GlobalED Solutions we bring educational prosperity as well as economic viability and sustainability to local education authorities. We are part of the worldwide Public Benefit Corporation “B Corp” movement.
At GlobalED Solutions we’re re-imagining education. We know every child is an individual with their own unique gifts, talents, and desires. By personalizing the education process, we can help grow each student into a happy, self-sufficient and self-reliant individual. Anyone can benefit from having a personal life coach, and that is at the heart of our educational model.
APPLY NOW THROUGH THE EMPLOYMENT SECTION OF OUR WEBSITE AT www.globaled.one
Equal Employment Opportunity EEOC Disclosure
GlobalED Solutions is a Nationally Accredited Education Management Organization and Education Service Provider. We are a Public Benefit Corporation that believes in the interdependence of all stakeholders to ensure students achieve their individual maximum potential.
Powered by JazzHR