As a Career Foundation Program (CFP)Associate, you are sponsored and supported by our Organization’s Senior Leaders along with an assigned mentor and program manager to partner with as you launch your career. This 24-month training program will develop you into the future leaders of our company. The program is designed for top talent who seek a performance-based culture that is built on Responsibility, Operational Excellence and Innovation (ROI).
During your 24-months you will learn from Smithfield Foods leaders, hear from industry experts, and roll up your sleeves to experience the many functional areas of the company. You will engage in challenging and dynamic experiences throughout various Smithfield Foods business areas, locations, and functional groups broken down by Track including:
- Sales & Business
- Supply Chain
- Food Safety & Quality Assurance
- Hog Procurement
- Distribution Center
You will be expected to provide business support and thought-leadership to the company throughout the program and beyond. As a CFP Associate you will add value as a full-time employee from day one, doing real work, and delivering real results.
At the conclusion of 24 months, you will be placed into a role where you can add immediate value based on your track assignment and Smithfield Foods business needs. Your career journey from that point forward is completely in your hands. You are not limited to a set path.
The Career Foundation Program is divided into function-specific tracks from which you can launch your career journey at Smithfield Foods. These tracks are designed to guide placement following the program.
- Sales & Business Track – including rotations through Business Management, Sales and Marketing
- Operations Track – including rotations through Continuous Improvement, Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Environmental & Safety, Logistics, and Manufacturing
- Hog Procurement Track – including rotations through Hog Purchasing, Hog and Farm Contract Negotiations
- Distribution Center Track – including rotations through Distribution Services, Inventory Control and Supervision
- Supply Chain Track –including rotations through Demand Planning, Transportation and Supply Planning
- Engineering Track – including rotations through Engineering Orientation to include exposure to IE/Quality/Production; Corporate Project Work and Supervision
- Food Safety & Quality Assurance Track - including rotations through Auxiliary Programs, Product Quality Testing, Shelf Life and Label Verification
- Finance Track – including rotations through Plant Finance and Accounting, and Corporate Finance and Accounting
The CFP Associate contributes to the department’s achievement of goals by problem solving, leading projects, executing short-term and long-term responsibilities, and delivering results that exceed expectations. The Career Foundation Program is designed for high potential college/university graduates who can quickly adapt to new environments and deliver contributions to the departments for which they are assigned. In a fast past-paced, results-oriented environment, the successful incumbent will complete the program and be ready for assignments commensurate with their Smithfield CFP work experience (18-24 months of relevant work experience).
- Accurately verify and bill domestic shipments to customers and inter-company shuttles.
- In addition, verifying and billing export shipments to customers including
- Collecting all required signatures (USDA and Vet), accurately filling out the export documentation based on the requirements of the different countries.
- Ensure high level of customer service when communicating with truck lines, customers and other facilities
- Serve as a direct link between the Distribution Center, Scheduling, Transportation, International and Customer Service departments and works with them on a regular basis to resolve any issues.
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of the Billing Clerks by assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work as well as resolving any issues that arise.
- Actively look for ways to improve work flow at the Distribution Center and implement changes in support of that goal.
- Resolve inventory issues as well as manage donations out of the distribution centers, block stock and pre-pricing.
- Monitor and review inbound paperwork – review, identify and resolve any discrepancies immediately.
- Maintain constant communication with the plants.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college/university.
- Be able to relocate one to two times during rotation.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism, discretion and ability to self-manage his/her time from remote locations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Travel up to 15-25% of time. Periodic overnight travel required.
- Currently authorized to work in the U.S.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
- ID: 2019-12349
- Job Locations: US-MD-North East
- Category: Intern/Trainee
- Type: Full-Time
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Shift: Corporate - Day Shift