Shelby County Jail
Part time - 10 hours per weekWhy Wellpath
Here at Wellpath, everything that we do is about taking care of people – our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented, compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to “Always Do The Right Thing!” About this role
Our Psychiatrist provides a full range of psychiatric services to patients. Provides clinical consultation regarding identified cases to mental health and health care staff. What you bring to the table
Education for Psychiatrist:Graduation from an accredited medical school with specialty training in psychiatry Experience for Psychiatrist:
Training and experience providing psychiatric services to an adult population Licenses/Certifications for Psychiatrist:
Physician who is licensed to practice medicine in the State, board-certified or board-eligible in psychiatryCurrent CPR Certification What you will do:
- Responsible to provide psychiatric services as required and within the standards of professional psychiatric and medical care.
- Responsible to abide by the security regulations of the facility, the regulations of the institution(s) to which psychiatric services are provided, and the policies and procedures of The Company.
- Responsible to provide documentation of psychiatric services to permit monitoring of compliance with policies and procedures of The Company.
- Evaluation and treatment in a timely manner of patients referred for psychiatric services by mental health or medical staff.
- Documentation of all psychiatric evaluations and/or treatment in patient's health record utilizing approved psychiatric templates/forms.
- Documentation of patient's consent to treatment on the appropriate form to be placed in the health record when psychotropic medication is prescribed.
- Coordination of medical consultations and lab work needed with the Health Services Administrator and Site Medical Director as needed.
- Monitoring of patients prescribed psychotropic medications to assess treatment effectiveness and medication side effects by psychiatric interview at least every 90 days.
- Provide supervision and oversight to psychiatric nurse, if such a position is utilized at Psychiatrist's assigned facility.
- Ensure support services and monitoring of patients as needed by submitting a referral to mental health staff.
- Evaluation of patients referred potentially in need of transfer to specialized internal mental health facility or community mental health facility. Provision of documentation required to effect transfer when indicated. Psychiatric services for these patients shall be provided to the day of transfer.
- Assistance to mental health staff in the arrangement of civil commitment to an appropriate facility when the patient is scheduled for release and is in need of inpatient care.
- When required, participate in the Medical Treatment Review Committee to permit the involuntary medication of an patient requiring psychopharmacological treatment and who, by well documented history of mental illness and violence, presents serious risk of danger to self, others, or property.
- Provision of consultation and training services to mental health and medical staff.
- Provision of on-call psychiatric services after hours when scheduled and as needed.
- Provision of documentation of psychiatric services contacts to Mental Health Coordinator upon request.
- Compliance with approved medication formulary and/or acquisition of approval for non-formulary items from Corporate Medical Director and/or Director of Psychiatric Services.
- If assigned to a Reception and Diagnostic Unit, provision of formal diagnostic evaluations for complex presentations as referred by Clinical Supervisor of RDU, with documentation of findings in health record and any other required charting medium utilized at RDU.
- If assigned to a Reception and Diagnostic Unit, adherence to timely schedule of initial patient psychiatric evaluations as related to psychotropic medication needs.
- Notification to appropriate supervisory staff member, in timely manner, of clinical or administrative concerns, including patient transfers.
- Your exercise of independent medical judgment with regards to patient diagnosis and treatment shall be unrestricted.
- May be required to participate in a system of 24-hour crisis intervention services.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of instructions and apply knowledge to different factual situations.
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
- Post orders, if applicable, per site contract.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer