The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is seeking an accomplished leader for the role of Advanced Computing (ACO) group manager within the Computational Science Center (CSC). NREL's Computational Science Center conducts research and provides cross-cutting capabilities and solutions including systems operation, advanced computer science, visualization, data science, applied math, and computational science to advance NREL's mission. Advanced Computing Systems and Operations specifies, procures, and operates HPC, cloud, and other mission computing systems. HPC capabilities include a supercomputing user facility service supporting all renewable energy and energy efficiency programs within DOE. This service is anchored by Eagle , housed in a data center that is amongst the world's most energy efficient. With a peak performance of 8.0 Petaflops, Eagle ranked among the top 30 fastest computers in the world when deployed in 2019. The ESIF HPC Data Center additionally hosts systems to support the capture and management of experimental, observational and modeling and simulation datasets, including distributed data and streaming data clusters, enabling data-driven computational research. The Insight Center at NREL combines state-of-the-art visualization and collaboration tools to promote knowledge discovery in energy systems research and integration. Located adjacent to the HPC data center, the Insight Center uses advanced visualization technology to provide on-site and remote viewing of experimental data, high-resolution visual imagery, and large-scale simulation data. These cross-cutting capabilities, along with a cloud services capability, will play a critical role in realizing the Advanced Research in Integrated Energy Systems (ARIES) agenda at the laboratory level, providing nationally unique R&D capabilities to support the EERE mission.
This leader will serve as a Group Manager reporting to the CSC Center Director and lead Advanced Computing Systems and Operations with a focus on excellence in organizational management and in developing strategic capabilities and programs in support of the center and lab's vision, strategy, and mission execution. This will require partnering with peers across the laboratory to leverage advanced computational capabilities on behalf of the mission work of NREL.
Specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide vision, strategic planning and leadership to the advanced computing operations team
- Establish infrastructure to provide mission driven computing for NREL and EERE
- Oversee day-to-day operation of on premise HPC, cloud environments, data driven, and other research computing systems.
- Oversee deployment of new facilities
- Coordinate with ITS to ensure ongoing ATO and cybersecurity excellence for institutional advanced computing
- Develop, review, and certify all back-up and disaster recovery procedures and plans
- Work closely with other group managers to assist in recruiting, hiring, and providing appropriate training for ACO systems staff
- Collaborate to enable development and maintenance of world-class capabilities across multiple aspects of computing including HPC, data-intensive computing, cloud computing, and visualization
- Hold regular team meetings to review strategic priorities, promote team cohesion and provide growth paths for staff
- Effectively manage Advanced Computing Operations with respect to staffing, finances, performance review, and other administrative functions necessary for proper execution.
- Act as Project Manager for projects to acquire, install, and transition HPC Systems to operational status approximately every 4 years.
- Actively support workforce development by providing coaching, mentoring, training, and other development opportunities for staff and managers.
- Honor NREL's employment opportunity, affirmative action, and anti-sexual-harassment programs, policies, and procedures.
This role can be hired as a Level II or Level III Group Manager.
Group Manager II:
Bachelor's Degree in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 9 years in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or technically related research discipline; Or, Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 7 years in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or technically related research discipline; Or, PhD in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 4 years in in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or technically related research discipline.
Group Manager III:
Bachelor's Degree in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 14 years in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or technically related research discipline; Or, Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 12 years in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or technically related research discipline; Or, PhD in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Computational Science or related and 9 years in in HPC, Advanced Computing, Computational Science or related research discipline.
Additional Required Qualifications
Previous management, budget development and/or significant leadership in an individual contributor role required. Degree in appropriate field is required. Demonstrated skill in dealing with legal and ethical management issues and practices. Broad and in-depth knowledge of the issues and best practices in the applicable field of expertise. Excellent organization, project management, budgeting, interpersonal and communication skills. Proven problem-solving and negotiation skills. Ability to collaborate with individuals at all levels of the organization. Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and direct personnel with diverse skills, work styles and values, both directly and through subordinate management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to lead and direct personnel with diverse skills, work styles and values, both directly and through subordinate management.
- Customer and solution-oriented problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of cloud computing services and workflows
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships internally to NREL and externally with sponsors and research partners.
- Ability to bridge gaps between domain language (engineering, science) and computing solution language.
- Installation and maintenance of clustered environments, including automated installation methods.
- Management of Linux operating systems in a large scale system environment.
- Ability to architect, deploy and maintain virtual and containerized workflows
- In depth knowledge of distributed file systems (e.g., Lustre) and emerging storage technology (e.g., object stores).
- Working knowledge of data centric computing technologies
- System administration tools: Scripting languages, monitoring and configuration management tools
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment concepts.
- Enterprise level directory services (LDAP); TCP/IP, Ethernet and Infiniband/OFED.
- Storage systems and integration of storage and backup solutions with HPC systems.
- Familiarity with key middleware for parallel clusters (MPI, OpenMP, parallel profilers, debuggers, etc.); expertise with configuration of system libraries.
- Understanding of cyber security controls and vulnerability management
- Working knowledge of private cloud (e.g., OpenStack) administration
- Degree in a technical discipline relevant to the Computational Science Center's efforts.
- Working knowledge of DOE project management procedures (e.g., Order 413b) and OMB capital planning and investment control requirements (e.g. circular A-11, A-130, etc.)
- Past leadership accomplishment, to include success in managing major computational science efforts and execution in delivering products or services
- Exceptional leadership potential, to include: conceptual thinking ability; excellent oral and written communication skills; differentiated interpersonal, collaborative, and negotiating skills; ability to inspire and motivate personnel and model critical leadership skills and values; ability to engage effectively with both computational and analysis communities; and initiative, creativity, and communication skills necessary to effectively propose new or expanded research efforts to the DOE as well as industrial and academic partners.
- Established relationships across the DOE and federal establishment.
- Experience leading computing operational efforts.
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector.
- Ability to obtain a DOE-sponsored security clearance.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
EEO is the Law at http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transpEnglishunformattedESQA508c.pdf | Reasonable Accommodations at http://www.nrel.gov/careers/employment-policies.html
E* *-Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify |For information about right to work, click here at http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/crt/legacy/2013/08/13/FinalOSCPosterEN08012013.pdf for English or here at http://www.justice.gov/crt/file/813271/download for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy's effort to secure an environmentally and economically sustainable energy future. With locations in Golden and Boulder, Colorado, and a satellite office in Washington, D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development, and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States.
NREL is subject to Department of Energy (DOE) access restrictions. All candidates must be authorized to access the facility per DOE rules and guidance within a reasonable time frame for the specified position in order to be considered for an interview. DOE rules for site access during the interview process are the same regardless of whether the candidate is interviewed on-site, off-site, or via telephone or videoconference. Additionally, DOE contractor employees are prohibited from participating in certain Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs (FGTRPs). If a candidate is currently participating in an FGTRP, they will be required to disclose their participation after receiving an offer of employment and may be required to disengage from participation in the FGTRP prior to commencing employment. Any offer of employment is conditional on the ability to obtain work authorization and to be granted access to NREL by the Department of Energy (DOE). We understand that COVID-19 may have caused delays or closures at offices, consulates, and embassies. However, NREL cannot make exceptions to work authorization and access requirements, and exceptions to these requirements are not being made for COVID-19 related delays.
Please review the information on our Hiring Process at https://www.nrel.gov/careers/hiring-process.html website before you create an account and apply for a job. We also hope you will learn more about NREL at https://www.nrel.gov/about/ , visit our Careers site at https://www.nrel.gov/careers/ , and continue to search for job opportunities at https://nrel.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/NREL at the lab.