GCI's Network Engineer IV will support multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Network Engineer IV:
Focus will be Engineer duties, to include: Circuit Design, Videoconferencing, IP Video, Systems, Projects, and/or Operations IP Telephony.
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Designs and implements new solutions and continues improvement of the current network and/or systems facilities.
- Maximizes performance using network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis. Supports and manages escalation events. Develops and updates documentation and support materials. Mentors junior engineers and technicians.
- Defines, designs, and implements wide and local area network facilities utilizing standard network engineering principles and concepts of routing, efficiency, redundancy, availability, security, and scalability and responsible for new systems planning and implementation and supports and manages escalations
- Works with management and engineering staff to determine future network architecture and planning requirements and assures that needs are met by proposed future designs and long-term plans.
- Defines KPIs for operational management, and provides and updates operational documentation, training, and network drawings.
- Mentors engineers, administrators, and technicians
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard network engineering concepts.
- Knowledge of firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications and related technologies.
- Experienced in diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols and routing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally
This is an advanced level position and requires a high level of specific discipline expertise and the ability to make technical decisions independently on significant engineering problems and provide technical direction and resolutions to ensure service level commitments are maintained. Required to have knowledge of other Engineering disciplines and will be expected to perform highly complex and diverse duties under challenging deadlines and operating constraints. Must be capable of performing the role of project engineer for major complex projects and provide technical leadership, oversight and mentoring to junior engineers. Considered the subject matter expert and possess an advanced knowledge of how technologies integrate across multiple computing platforms. Expected to design, plan, analyze, and implement complex solutions that integrate projects and operational services across several of the company's business departments. Will review documentation from junior engineers and provide final design specifications to ensure seamless integration into the operational environment. Expert knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols, and routing. Expert understanding of standard engineering concepts such as high availability, redundancy, reliability and testing, security, and standards. Excellent budget and time management skills to manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget. Ability to lead other engineers on large complex projects. Ability to serve as a technical expert in a particular discipline or disciplines within the company. Excellent time management skills to smoothly and professionally manage multiple complex projects on time and on budget. Must have a thorough knowledge and working experience in network design and configuration utilizing Juniper's and/or Cisco's Service provider product lines. Must have high-level knowledge of Windows, Server Virtualization, and/or Linux operating systems.
- Minimum of ten years' experience in any combination listed below:
- Progressive experience in the information technology field within in a network environment.
- Experience in network design and implementation using Engineering Principles.
- Documented experience in environment requiring complex project management, including technology insertion.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline required. Graduate Degree in Engineering may be substituted for professional engineer experience on a year for year basis. Professional Engineer (PE) license desired. Qualification is also based upon individual job performance.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education required.
- Associate level: CCENT, CCT, CCNA, CCDA, JNCIA
- Professional level: CCDP, CCNP/advanced level, expertise with networking and skills
- Additional Examples/types of certifications: HDI, Microsoft, ITIL, CompTIA
Physical Requirements: Primarily sedentary office work with some travel to site locations where indoor and outdoor work may be required. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, using hand tools, and repetitive motions. Incidental lifting without assistance of up to 50 lbs (only 1 to 2 times per day); includes caring below shoulder level and walking with load using trained lifting techniques.
Working Conditions: Most activities conducted inside under pleasant climatic conditions. Work can be intense and stressful due to time/resource limitations when scheduling multiple tasks with inflexible deadlines. Travel for business and training purposes may be required. The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs, employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact number.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record. May need to drive to company facilities and/or customer sites within Alaska or Lower 48.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.