GCI's Engineer III, DevOps is responsible for the Development Operations (DevOps) function of the organization; works collaboratively with multiple Engineers and functions to develop, deploy, and maintain the organizations software and/or systems. DevOps function strives to achieve improved deployment frequency for faster time to market, shortened lead time between fixes, and quicker recovery time in the event of a new release failure. This is achieved though development of system automation, scaling efficient repeatability with Continuous Delivery methodologies, and building out technology providing effective reliability.
Essential Duties of Position:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and support of large-scale infrastructure across multiple cloud solutions.
- Automate and streamline operations and processes to rapidly release reliable applications faster and more frequently.
- Build and maintain tools for deployment and testing in stable and scalable production environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a strong knowledge of agile methodology and continuous integration and delivery.
- Knowledge of orchestration tools for automated deployments
- Understanding of configuration management and software defined infrastructure
- Work as a project team member.
- Develop/Build IT solutions to meet business requirements.
- Install and configure solutions.
- Translates business and technical requirements in to test cases, test scenarios, and scripts.
- Develops and/or implements reusable components.
- Performs script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Adheres to standards and procedures.
- Reviews modules for quality assurance.
- Deploys new modules, upgrades and fixes to the production environment.
- Assist in production support.
- May troubleshoot existing IT systems to identify errors or deficiencies and develop solutions.
- Documents functions and changes to new or modified modules and test activities/results.
- Communication: Create clear and concise written documentation for a variety of audiences, including developers, business analysts and business users. Use a blend of written communication techniques, including detailed documentation, diagramming and slide presentations. Take initiative to initiate communication among teams, including remote team members. Initiate and deliver presentations to internal groups on domain topics.
- Team Leadership: Lead by example on all fronts. Guide development teams in a manner that creates success and allows for future self-sufficiency. Foster innovation and promote teamwork.
- People and Self-Management: Own and manage priorities and individual tasks without direct supervision. Take initiative and seek out opportunities. Assess and accept risks and learn from mistakes. Build and maintain effective working relationships with leadership, peers, customers and vendors. Work to resolve problem relationships directly.
- Customer Service: Provide a professional level of service to both external and internal customers. Take ownership and accountability of problems and facilitate finding a solution, involving other groups as necessary.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an expert level technical position requiring the ability to work independently, in a team support role, and lead teams working under deadlines and operating constraints. Requires the ability lead efforts; development and implementation of software defined infrastructure, automate tasks, and the following duties in addition to previous
Level Definition requirements:
- Works on complex, major, and highly visible tasks in support of multiple projects.
- Works as team member or project technical lead.
- Expertise in multiple technical environments that span a broad range of applications.
- Reviews technical design specs if less-experienced team members.
- Checks for compliance with all standards, policies, and procedures.
- Creates release notes and deployment plans.
- Verifies functionality of components and services to ensure deployments meets client expectations.
- Evaluates vendor solutions to ensure compliance with requirements and cost-effectiveness.
- Participates in design of disaster recovery plans and back up procedures.
- Provides recommendations for solutions and design.
- Performs research on best practice for emerging tools and cloud technologies.
- Establishing requirements and automation for routine maintenance.
- Integrates solutions with other applications and platforms outside the framework.
- A minimum of six years' experience required in any combination of the following:
- Experience in Telecommunications or Computer Sciences/IT field.
- Experience working in applications, systems, or IT operations.
- Working knowledge of two or more programming language.
- Experience designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications using Continuous Delivery/Integration methodologies and emerging technologies.
- Experience with Automation Tools.
- Demonstrates knowledge of a broad range of hardware and software products.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, engineering or related field required.
- In addition to minimum experience required, degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and can contribute toward education.
Physical Requirements: Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout the course of a normal workday. Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding activities and operate general office equipment. Must have the ability to communicate orally, both in person and over the telephone. Ability to perform sedentary work. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Working Conditions: Work can be performed remotely in conjunction other team members in GCI offices in Anchorage, Seattle and Portland. Attendance either in person or via telecommuting technologies required during business hours.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and a satisfactory driving record.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, and responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job.