GCI's Network Maintenance Technician I is responsible for maintaining and repairing system wide oversight and quality control of network signal processing. Troubleshoots and repairs problems with transmission levels, and/or equipment failures to included; network analysis, headend and outside plant maintenance and integrity, technical leadership of outside plant maintenance, personnel, and all relevant. Responsible for constructing, maintaining, and repairing network facilities, systems, cabling including equipment and related components involved in signal processing, amplification and transmission. Troubleshoots and repairs problems with transmission levels, signal losses, off-air interference and equipment failures.
*This position could be assigned to any or all areas needed to support Network Repairs:
- Outside Network Maintenance
Essential Duties at All Levels in the Position:
- Performs routine maintenance, surveillance, and construction operations on all Radio Frequency / Microwave / Fiber Optic / AC / DC / Wireless / HFC Networks, Facilities, and related components providing video, voice, and data services.
- Completes routine balancing, aligning, sweeping, proof of performance and required compliance adjustments of components and equipment used to amplify and process signals. Monitors and supports critical network elements to maintain the continuous operation of network and system infrastructure.
- Performs preventative or corrective maintenance, such as underground cable locates, outage response, rewiring or upgrading cabling and equipment, impairment mitigation, system drive off and repairs.
- Responsible for carrying out assigned construction activities in support of new plant construction, rebuilds and existing plant upgrades. Knows and adheres to applicable construction codes and safety regulations. Digs holes; lays foundation; places poles; lays cable; unreels, pulls and strings wire from pole to pole.
- Dismantles, moves or removes aerial, underground or building wire, cable equipment, poles and hardware. Installs and replaces power supplies, converters and terminal boxes. Operates heavy-duty power equipment and hand tools.
- Support senior staff technicians and mentor's junior technicians with install, test, and repair of custom service orders.
- Responsible for basic vehicle maintenance, truck stock, and follows the company's safe driving and other applicable policies. May be required to pass, background check, pre-employment and random controlled substance screening, and obtain commercial driver's license within 6 months of employment.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an intermediate level position within the telecommunications field outside network maintenance discipline that will support and learn from the company's certification, education, and senior technicians the basic understanding for routine preventative and corrective network maintenance, repairs to field and network facilities and plant providing video, voice, data, and wireless services at varying locations including customer's residential and/or business properties, field and central offices. Works under close supervision and work is reviewed by senior staff.
Essential Duties for this position:
- Basic knowledge and ability to perform construction, installation, routine preventative and corrective maintenance, testing and repairs of facilities providing video, voice, and data services.
- Evaluates field conditions performs test, and measurements to determine signal quality.
- Handles semi-routine maintenance duties, problems and repairs. Recognizes deviation from accepted practices and confirms with senior staff appropriate next steps.
- Receives general instructions on routine work and detailed instructions on new assignments. Work is regularly supervised and reviewed for timeliness, accuracy and correct procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency in and working knowledge of several areas of plant systems and working knowledge of several areas of construction.
- Organizes daily workload and performs work utilizing industry standard test equipment, hand tools, and heavy equipment to install, maintain, or repair services and facilities.
- Performs preventative or corrective maintenance, underground cable locates, outage response, rewiring or upgrading facilities, cabling, and equipment, impairment mitigation, system drive off and repairs.
- Typically has 4 or more years of progressively skilled and complex related experience.
- Communicates with TAC or Dispatch to update and complete repair or trouble tickets.
- Assists with new installations and trouble tickets in a timely manner.
- Verify accuracy of written work order, confirm discrepancies, collect payments and customer signatures, ensures all documentation is updated in a timely manner.
- Escalates more complex issues as needed to the appropriate department, or management team.
- Work with senior technicians and respond to outages or other duties as required and guides and trains less experienced technicians.
- Design test fixtures, analyze test results, and document tests performed on components.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of and ability to accurately interpret and apply NEC, NESC, OSHA, FCC and company rules and regulations.
- Basic knowledge of routine maintenance procedures, surveillance, and construction operations including Radio Frequency / Microwave / Fiber Optic / AC / DC / Wireless/Wireline / HFC Networks, Facilities, and related components providing video, voice, and data services.
- Basic knowledge of signal ingress/egress preventative and corrective maintenance requirements, coaxial and fiber cable splicing and facility locating, outage restoration, system design calculations, network installation, activation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of basic electronic fundamentals and mathematical skills.
- Basic knowledge of video, voice, and data, baseband and optical signal delivery.
- Working knowledge in the operation of related field equipment signal level meters, AC/DC power test equipment including optical, time, and frequency domain reflectometers, underground cable locators, and leakage detection equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately calculate signal losses and amplification from headend to customer premise equipment and able to synthesize multiple pieces of technical information to develop timely solutions to network problems.
- Analytical skills: demonstrated ability to accurately read, interpret/evaluate and apply/implement information from system maps, equipment readings, test parameters, construction and design work orders.
- Must be able to expeditiously route and navigate, accurately reading system and city maps/grids.
- Communications skills: must be able to articulate technical information clearly and concisely in written and electronic follow-up reports and work orders regarding system damages and outages; complete written and electronic route sheets.
- Able to effectively verbally communicate technical information to customers, contractors, utility workers, fellow employees and the public in an effective manner commensurate with their level of understanding.
- Interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive rapport with customers, vendors, contractors, utilities, agencies, etc. Ability to promote teamwork and encourage a professional, courteous work ethic.
- Computer skills: basic knowledge of Excel, MS Word, and industry specific programs that track signal leakage, outages, system monitoring, etc.
- Familiar with cable modem systems to include any OTN interface devices, troubleshooting techniques and monitoring.
- + Knowledge of home/business wiring, adjusting, installation, and service of consumer electronics equipment.
- Ability to maintain confidential company and customer information.
- Knowledgeable and responsive to financial accountability for vehicles, inventory (i.e., test equipment), paperwork, and safety procedures to minimize claims.
- Time management skills: ability to organize assignments, equipment, and routing to maximize productivity.
- Minimum 4 years experience with a telecommunications or related field background including 2 years of complex related field experience required.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree in electronics, telecommunications trade school or equivalent training preferred.
- Or, a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute to meet the total years required on a year-for-year basis.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued.
- Upon hire many be required to complete: Company or other applicable training and certifications including Pole/Tower Climbing, AK DOT Bucket Truck and AK DOT approved Flagger Certification.
- Additional certifications or successful course completion may be required within a defined period of time after position acceptance.
- High degree of balance, coordination and strength needed routinely in climbing poles, towers, ladders, etc. and avoiding obstacles.
- Daily walking, crawling, bending, stooping and kneeling on varied surfaces such as roofs and in trenches often hampered by weather elements.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling to maneuver equipment/supplies of up to 70-pound loads occasionally, less weight more regularly.
- High degree of hand dexterity and eye/hand coordination to operate hand tools and to connect, separate, and twist multiple smaller items on a daily basis.
- Clarity of vision at every distance with good depth perception and ability to clearly distinguish colors routinely for driving and performing assigned tasks.
- Good hearing, capable of distinction between equipment signals and the human voice often amidst background noises, such as wind, rain and traffic.
Working Conditions: Subject to adverse weather and driving conditions. Work involves heights up to 40 feet on poles, ladders, buckets, or towers up to 250'. Work performed below overhead construction and in trenches to 10 feet in depth. Tasks performed around high-power electrical conductors and gas lines. Work areas can be cramped, dark, dusty, damp, wet, stuffy, sticky, smelly, hot and/or cold. May encounter unrestrained animals/pets.
Must be able and willing to work flexible hours including, but not limited to, overtime, on-call, and/or additional time on weekends, holidays, evenings, before or after normal shift hours. Travel may be required to assist other systems personnel.
- All Technicians and above must be able to cope with a remote arctic environment.
- Drug Testing: Participation in a DOT or non-DOT drug and alcohol testing program may be required to satisfy conditions of a contract or proposed contract with a business partner or client. This includes pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return to duty, and follow-up testing.
- Fitness For: Duty: Ability to pass a pre-employment or return to work physical and fitness for duty examination may be required to satisfy conditions of a contract or proposed contract with a business partner or client.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (required): Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record. Compliance with company driver safety program required.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job.