This on-call position is located in Akutan, Alaska
The Rural Support Agent will support the Rural Network Operations with preventative maintenance of satellite and wireless company assets located in rural communities of Alaska.
Position's Customer(s): Company Installers, Technicians, and Engineers supporting Network Operations in the rural communities in Alaska
Essential Duties of Position:
- Preventative Maintenance ? Monthly Station check ensuring site is secure, no damage, and equipment has a visual inspection.
- On Call/Call Out as necessary to remove snow and general up keep of company satellite and wireless company assets
- Wireless Customer Premise CPE Installation ? Installing equipment at Customer location to have GCI wireless internet to include mounting equipment and connecting to customer computer.
- E911 Service Reliability and Outage Notification Rules - The ability to make emergency calls is an assumed function of any modern telecommunications network. GCI takes this responsibility seriously. The change management and verification aspect of 911 is especially critical. Failures or negligence in this area have serious implications to public safety, GCI's credibility, and have resulted in FCC scrutiny and fines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and follow directions.
- Must be dependable, and available to respond to call out situation.
- Ability to operate a PC based application such as Windows, Word, Excel.
- Desirable to have experience in electrical or construction work or maintenance
- Requires excellent listening, oral and written skills in order to communicate ideas and concepts to co-workers and customers.
- Requires professional courteous interactions with customer.
- A minimum of six months living in an arctic environment.
- Customer service experience highly desired.
- Maintenance of satellite Telecommunication or microwave transport also highly desired.
- Experience in electrical, Construction work or maintenance work desirable.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications highly valued.
Position reports to: Regional Manager, Rural Operations
Number of Direct Reports: None
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift and routinely carry equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Clarity of vision at every distance with good depth perception and ability to distinguish colors routinely for driving and performing assigned tasks. Travel and work outside in typical Alaskan cold weather (-20 to ?30F) on satellite antennas Work often required at a standard office desk using a PC. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Working Conditions: Work conditions include working inside/outside in typical cold weather conditions.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. As such, you will be requested to provide emergency after hours contact numbers, to include your home and cell phone numbers if you have those services.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record. Must have reliable transportation to and from the job site and must have the ability to transport visiting technicians and their equipment to job site.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.