GCI's Cloud Systems
Engineer III is responsible for the Cloud Systems Engineering function.
Works collaboratively with other Cloud Systems Engineers, Cloud Network Engineers,
DevOps Engineers, and IT functions to develop, deploy, and maintain the
organizations Hybrid Cloud & SDDC offerings. The Cloud Systems Engineer
strives to achieve improved deployment frequency for faster time to market,
shortened lead time between fixes, and quicker recovery time in the event of a
new release failure. This is achieved through development of physical compute
platforms supporting virtualized workloads, scaling efficient repeat-ability
with Continuous Delivery methodologies, and building out technology providing
Essential Duties of Position at all Levels:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and
support of large-scale hybrid- and multi-cloud hosting platforms.
- Automates and streamlines operations and
processes to rapidly release reliable infrastructure faster and more
- Builds and maintains tools for deployment and
testing in stable and scalable production environments.
Job Qualifications at all Levels:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a strong knowledge of agile methodology
and continuous integration and delivery.
- Knowledge of virtualization platforms and
associated technologies including (but not limited to) the full VMWare stack
(ESXi, vCenter, vSAN, NSX, and the vRealize Suite).
- Understanding of configuration management and
software defined data center (SDDC) infrastructure.
- Ability to work as a project team member.
- Ability to develop/build IT solutions to meet
- Ability to install and configure solutions.
- Ability to translate business and technical
requirements into test cases, test scenarios, and scripts.
- Ability to develop and/or implement reusable
- Ability to perform script maintenance and
updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Adheres to standards and procedures.
- Reviews modules for quality assurance.
- Ability to deploy new modules, upgrades, and
fixes to the production environment.
- Assist in production support.
- May troubleshoot existing IT systems to identify
errors or deficiencies and develop solutions.
- Documents functions and changes to new or
modified modules and test activities/results.
- Ability to administer 24/7 server environments.
- Active listening skills with the ability to work
effectively with technical and non-technical staff to resolve issues.
- Build and maintain effective working
relationships with leadership, peers and customers. Work to resolve problem relationships.
- Thorough, organized, and detail oriented.
- Documentation, organization, and time management
- Take initiative to improve processes,
procedures, skills, and technical knowledge.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an expert level
technical position requiring the ability to work independently, in a team
support role, and lead teams working under deadlines and operating constraints.
Requires the ability lead efforts; development and implementation of software
defined infrastructure, automate tasks, and the following duties in addition to
- Ability to work on complex, major, and highly
visible tasks in support of multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work as team member or project
technical lead assuming technical leadership responsibilities for less
experienced team members in the absence of an Engineer IV.
- Expertise in multiple technical environments
that span a broad range of applications.
- Reviews technical design specs of
less-experienced team members.
- Checks for compliance with all standards,
policies, and procedures.
- Creates release notes and deployment plans.
- Verifies functionality of components and
services to ensure deployments meets client expectations.
- Evaluates vendor solutions to ensure compliance
with requirements and cost-effectiveness.
- Participates in design of disaster recovery
plans and back up procedures.
- Provides recommendations for solutions and
- Performs research on best practice for emerging
tools and cloud technologies.
- Ability to establish requirements and automation
for routine maintenance.
- Ability to integrate solutions with other
applications and platforms outside the framework.
Minimum of six years' experience required in any combination
of the following:
- Experience in Telecommunications or Computer
- Experience working in applications, systems, or
- Working knowledge and experience of two or more
virtualization platforms, in-depth knowledge of all components in a
virtualization stack and/or VMWare Horizon with demonstrated ability to
customize for tailored use.
- Experience designing, developing, testing, and
deploying applications using Continuous Delivery/Integration methodologies and
- Experience with Automation Tools.
- Demonstrates knowledge of a broad range of
hardware and software products.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and time
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science,
engineering or related field required.
- In addition to minimum experience required,
degree may be substituted with relevant work experience on a year-for-year
- Certifications: Industry specific certifications
such as Dell DCAN DCPPE, and DEA series; VMWare VCP, VCAP, VCAP series; are
highly valued and may contribute toward education.
Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout the
course of a normal workday. Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding
activities and operate general office equipment. Must have the ability to
communicate orally, both in person and over the telephone. Office Position:
Ability to perform sedentary work.
Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking,
hearing, and repetitive motions.
Requires clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
Working Conditions: Work can be performed remotely in
conjunction other team members in GCI offices in Anchorage, Seattle and
Portland; during a normal 40-hour workweek and may require additional hours to
meet project goals or deadlines.
Attendance either in person or via telecommuting technologies required
during business hours. Occasional travel for business and training purposes is
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7
environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to
public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business
needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to
respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an
emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain
a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic
protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above
information on this description has been designed to indicate the general
nature and level of work performed by employees within this
classification. It is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job.