Be a part of the legal team -- use your legal expertise to drive healthcare strategy. Humana is seeking Legal Counsel who will support Humana, its management and subsidiaries. The Counsel provides a full range of legal advice and services. The Counsel work assignments involve moderately complex to complex issues where the analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
The Counsel is typically a Legal generalist or provides counsel in a combination of disciplines. Begins to influence department's strategy. Makes decisions on moderately complex to complex issues regarding technical approach for project components, and work is performed without direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
The Counsel will focus their practice on two predominant areas of responsibility for the Humana Legal Department:
1) Support of Humana Government Business, Inc. a wholly owned subsidiary of Humana Inc. by:
- Providing legal guidance regarding the TRICARE program, enabling statutes, regulations and associated manuals;
- Supporting the provider contracting & relation teams with negotiating and managing the provider network which is comprised of institutional, ancillary and professional providers;
- Advising internal medical management, IT and vendor contracting teams; and
- Serving as a valued business partner with senior leaders.
2) Humana Specialty Business which offers both individual and employer group products for Dental, Vision and Life Insurance products by:
- Conducting legal research to support growth initiatives and product strategies;
- Supporting sales teams with the submission of Local, State and Federal RFPs as well as provide legal support to defend or protest contract awards; and
- Providing other types of legal services in support of the Specialty segment.
- Juris Doctorate, with license in at least one state;
- At least 3 years of experience in health law at a law firm or in-house health care organization;
- Experience in Federal and State Procurement Process and Contracting or similar regulatory work;
- Strong legal research, analytical, and writing skills;
- Experience negotiating contracts and settlement agreements;
- Ability to work both independently under general supervision and within a team; and
- Ability to work in complex organization with diverse clients at all levels of the company.
- Knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulations and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations; and
- Strong Provider Contracting Experience;
- Ability to provide legal advice on Federal Demonstration Projects and Pilots; and
- Experience with Telehealth, ACOs, Value Based Care and quality outcome based measures.
You will report to an Assistant General Counsel.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Mission: At Humana, our cultural foundation is aligned to helping members achieve their best health by delivering personalized, simplified, whole-person healthcare experiences. Recognizing healthcare needs continue to evolve for each person, for each family and for each community, Humana continuously creates innovative solutions and resources that help people live their healthiest lives on their terms -when and where they need it. Our employees are at the heart of making this happen and that's why we are dedicated to building an organization of dynamic talent whose experience and passion center on putting the customer first.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status, except where age, sex, or physical status is a bona fide occupational qualification. View the EEO is the Law poster.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Humana Safety and Security
Humana will never ask, nor require a candidate provide money for work equipment and network access during the application process. If you become aware of any instances where you as a candidate are asked to provide information and do not believe it is a legitimate request from Humana or affiliate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to validate the request.
If you are a California resident and would like to review our California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Policy click here: