Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Director Supply Chain position is responsible for ensuring that all Houston Methodist Supply Chain needs are met in compliance with system policies and procedures and within industry practices. This position directs the organization's overall supply chain operations, including purchasing and inventory of materials, and distribution of products and supplies, partnering with Corporate in the selection of vendors. The Director Supply Chain position evaluates past performance data to forecast needs and production scheduling. This position develops strategic plans to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations and ensures the highest level of customer service to hospital leadership and staff in support of hospital operations. The Director Supply Chain position assists to position the organization to meet increased expectations for performance and growth which reflect the mission and values of Houston Methodist.
The Director position responsibilities include overseeing the activities of the department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency to accomplish strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position is accountable for employee engagement, adequate staffing levels, budget development and compliance, staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
2. Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
3. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
4. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
5. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
6. Consults with entity business leaders on the alignment of products and supplies with business strategies and issues of benefits. Collaborates with various stakeholders and executive leadership in order to gain consensus regarding long-term supply strategy. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Meets with customer base to ensure the highest level of customer service. Develops plans to continually upgrade service level. (EF)
4. Leads supply chain efforts, to include analysis and reporting on utilization. Addresses supply issues to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution, to include any needed service recovery. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peer-to-peer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
4. Reviews, analyzes and recommends changes/enhancements to programs, processes, and policies to increase efficiency and effectiveness of Supply Chain Management within the Hospital. Implements approved recommendations and ensures compliance with all associated policies and standing operational procedures and regulations. (EF)
5. Manages product evaluations and implementations. (EF)
6. Serves as Facility Administrator for various vendors (i.e. RASMAS, Staples, etc.) (EF)
7. Provides guidance, support, and education to departments that maintain official inventory outside of Supply Chain. (EF)
8. Identifies inventory performance standards and ensures those standards are maintained in order to support departmental par levels. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
1. Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a cost-effective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Provides oversight and guidance of the inventory system (PAR-EX). Ensures charges are entered in a timely manner based on established standards, as applicable. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ system-directed activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
2. Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
3. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
4. Serves as a liason between entity and corporate Supply Chain Management and to ensure that the purchasing and inventory system software and hardware requirements are being met. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor's degree
o Master's degree preferred
o Six years of healthcare Supply Chain experience, at least three of which must have been in a management role in a Hospital Supply Chain setting.
o Academic Medical Center experience preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Materials Resource Professional (CRMP) certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department; stays abreast of industry changes
o Demonstrates highly effective communication skills, strong written communications and platform presentation abilities
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
o Demonstrates the ability to guide and direct others toward goal setting
o Ability to build trust at all levels of the organization
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.