At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Distributed Energy (AES DE) is currently seeking a Sr Manager, Project Development to lead project origination and development efforts as a member of AES DE’s Greenfield Business Development team. The Greenfield team is tasked with internal origination and development of solar and solar + storage projects. The successful candidate will lead a team focusing on project origination and development efforts including securing land and interconnection positions, responding to key RFPs, contracting PPAs, and growing the development pipeline. This is a fast-paced role working with internal and external key stakeholders and will provide immediate exposure to all aspects of solar project development.
This position will be based remotely in Louisville, Colorado at the AES DE Headquarters and reports to the Director of Business Development. The role requires the ability to manage people, work on multiple tasks and projects and requires travel as needed. The successful candidate will work on a cross functional team with land origination, project development, legal, finance, engineering, construction, and outside consultants, landowners, customers, project stakeholders and utility companies.
- Lead a team focusing on originating and contracting new solar and solar + storage projects primarily in the Central and Western US.
- Follow policy, legislation and RFPs in the Central and Western US markets for solar or solar + storage.
- Analyze and create a strategy and budget for origination and new market development.
- Secure new site control with internal land acquisition team.
- Hire consultants to run interconnection studies in key markets to determine available interconnection capacity.
- Submit and secure interconnection positions.
- Submit pricing proposals and lead response to key RFPs with support of internal RFP team.
- Form relationships with key potential PPA offtake customers, negotiate and contract PPAs.
- Work with internal engineering or consultants to submit interconnection applications and secure queue positions.
- Lead site diligence in conjunction with internal teams and consultants including critical issue screening, environmental studies, title review, property tax matters, community relations etc.
- Assist in project development with internal Business Development Project Managers to secure discretionary permits including meetings with local AHJs, permit hearings, utilities, etc.
- Assist with project financings for projects you develop as necessary.
- Prepare and participate in required transaction approval documentation and presentations for senior management approval and deal closure.
- Coordinate additional resources or outside consultants/contractors
Skills and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate Degree in engineering, finance, project management, construction management, or equivalent.
- At least 7 (seven) years of direct solar energy development and management experience.
- Vast experience in solar energy required.
- Proficiency in battery energy storage preferred.
- Existing network of contacts, partners in the solar market preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Extensive knowledge of solar project development, utilities, interconnection, permitting, and contracting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required including public speaking and/or platform skills for executive management presentations.
- Self-starter be very self-reliant and capable of operating with minimum supervision.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20% on average.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.