As a BIM/VDC Plumbing Designer, you will be responsible for preparing and maintaining shop drawings and details using computer-aided design software. You will work closely with design originators to resolve design details or discrepancies to prepare shop drawings for prefabrication and installation which require a high degree of precision using computer-aided drafting (CAD) or computer-aided engineering (CAE) equipment. You will create, modify and control detailed two- and three-dimensional parts and assembly drawings derived from engineers' and technicians' sketches, plans and written and verbal instructions.
Established in 1946, TDIndustries has developed into one of America's premier Mechanical Construction and Facility Services companies serving clients through the full life-cycle of a facility, to include engineering, construction, operations and maintenance. For 70 years, our employee-owned company has provided innovative services that optimize the performance of world-class mechanical and electrical systems that serve healthcare facilities, hotels, schools, sports arenas, mission critical facilities and industrial complexes and other essential institutions.
Our employees, whom we call “Partners” are the heart of our success and what sets us apart from our competitors. FORTUNE Magazine recognized TDIndustries as one of the "100 Best Places to Work", "Top 50 Training Organizations" and "Top 30 Companies to Retire From" due to our solid commitment to the personal and professional development of each employee.
- Generate construction and fabrication drawings for manufacturing as required by project using CADD systems and peripherals for a variety of large complex commercial and industrial construction projects.
- Provide onsite support for field personnel, when needed, and interface with other team leaders, the group manager, project managers, the shop fabrication managers and field supervisors.
- Review equipment submittal documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate draft construction drawings with other trades or Internal TDIndustries to ensure routings and clearances are understood and no obstructions exist.
- Reviews engineering and contractual documents and coordinates the architectural and structural documents with other members of the project team to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Perform site surveys and field measurement work as needed to support the conceptual and design drawing efforts.
- Make final checks and review trade drawings prior to fabrication release.
- Provide completed and complex construction drawings for the shop for parts manufacturing and to job site management to use in the construction and installation of material and equipment.
- Review contractual documents and construction drawings for apparent conflicts with architectural and structural documents and ensures compliance with local code requirements.
- Identify each of the issues that surface during the review and bring it to the attention of project management for clarification and resolution through the Request for Information (RFI) process.
- Manage document control during the detailing process and interprets various discrepancies and conflicts within the contractual documents.
- Approve Requests for Information (RFI’s) and provides input for Coordination Change Orders (CCO’s) for delivery to project managers.
- Monitor cost and schedule throughout the project in order to keep the coordination effort as closely aligned with the project estimate as possible.
- Advise appropriate project management staff of any potential overruns including work required or requested for the project which is outside of the baseline scope of work.
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Plumbing Design (Field Construction or VDC experience).
- Understanding and/or ability to learn 3D drafting and design programs (Revit, AutoCad, Navisworks, CADmep, Stratus)
- Ability to read and understand Architectural and Structural contract documents, drawings, P&ID’s and project specifications
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Able to multi-task and set priorities
Preferred Additional Qualifications (Not Required)
- License or certification in at least one trade (Plumbing/Piping/Sheet Metal), or willing to attain if required.
- Foreman skill level, or above
- Commercial/Industrial construction experience (specialty piping, plumbing and ductwork)
- Track record of advancement/growth in responsibilities in work history
TDIndustries offers competitive compensation packages, weekly direct deposit paychecks, paid company holidays, 401K, Employee Stock options as well as health benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/ AD&D, STD, LTD and supplemental life insurance.