The residency is academically affiliated with the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. This residency allows the pharmacy resident to build upon their professional skills by providing a variety of patient care services. There are two residency locations affiliated with the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy-one in Chapel Hill, NC and one in Asheville, NC. These sites are close to the main campus and satellite campus. The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy offers a multi-site community residency program, which allows the resident to network and work with many leaders in North Carolina community pharmacy.
Pharmacy residents in this setting will have a direct influence on patient outcomes through participation in patient counseling, immunization services, and medication therapy management with a specific emphasis on patient adherence. Residents will also work to develop collaboration with area providers and develop innovative clinical services for patients who prescribed complex therapies. Residents will explore the development and evaluation of clinical services through completion of a business plan. The pharmacy resident will have an abundance of teaching opportunities. They will be able to precept student pharmacists at the practice site and instruct students in the classroom on either campus. The pharmacy resident will have an elective opportunity to participate in a teaching and learning curriculum through the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy or Mountain Area Health Education Center. The residency program graduates will be leaders in the pharmacy community and will have an active role in advancing community pharmacy practice.
The resident will have direct influence on patient outcomes through the following:
-Disease state management and health coaching for patients (Asheville site)
-Collaboration with other health care providers
-Medication therapy management programs
-Development of health and wellness programs
-Disease prevention, detection, and monitoring services (blood pressure, cholesterol and immunizations)
-Disease state management in HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C
The resident will participate in strengthening practice management and teaching skills through the following:
-Practice management, marketing, and reimbursement
-Community outreach and education
-Optional teaching certificate through either UNC or Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC)
-Teaching Assistant appointment for student pharmacists
-Preceptorship of student pharmacist learners from UNC and other schools of pharmacy
-Facilitation of classroom discussions (small group and large didactic lectures)
-Monthly diabetes education classes at the Orange County Health Department
Job ID: 473624BR
Title: Pharmacy Resident - University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
Company Indicator: Walgreens
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Function: Retail
Full Store Address: 1106 ENVIRON WAY,CHAPEL HILL,NC,27517-4418-16122-S
Full District Office Address: 1106 ENVIRON WAY,CHAPEL HILL,NC,27517-4418-16122-S
External Basic Qualifications:
- ?Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college or school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Ability to obtain pharmacist license within the state of residency within 90 days of the start of the residency program
- Submission of residency application materials to Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS)
- Individuals must participate in and adhere to the rules of the ASHP Resident Matching Program.
- Certified Immunizer or willing to become an immunizer within 90 days of hire.
- Prefer six months of experience in a retail environment.
- Prefer to have prior work experience with Walgreens.
- Prefer good math skills so they can fill prescriptions accurately, including counting, measuring and weighing medications.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans.