Provide engineering design and implementation services necessary to support the company's Access Network Engineering, Operating groups, and Network Services Management. Provide expertise in the design specifications, implementation support, operational analysis, systems administration escalations, configuration, management, troubleshooting, project management support, and performance tuning with a focus on the underlying network infrastructure. Implements Internet, MPLS, DOCSIS/DPoE, and Access Engineering technologies, complex security network solutions, utilizing wide area and local area facilities and equipment such as routers, switches, access routers, CMTS's, cable modems, firewalls, and IP transport.
DUTIES PERFORMED AT ALL LEVELS:
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
§ Analyze requirements, finalize design to specifications, and implement solutions for new services and enhance existing IP products
§ Engineering Estimates and Installation Packages
§ Platform troubleshooting and problem escalation support
§ Lab certifications and acceptance of hardware and software
§ Evaluate and test future, new technologies
§ Lifecycle Network and Equipment Management planning and execution
Mentor junior engineers / network administrators, and stay current with developing technology
Additional Job Requirements: At an advanced engineer level, requires a high level of specific discipline expertise and the ability to make technical decisions independently on significant engineering problems. Required to have knowledge of other engineering disciplines. Capable of performing the role of Project Engineer for major, complex projects. Expected to perform at a high level as a member of varied cross-functional teams to successfully advance complex projects and initiatives/efforts. Is expected to provide technical leadership oversight and mentoring to junior engineers. Defines, designs and implements Internet, MPLS, DOCIS, and Access Technology networks, complex security network solutions, utilizing wide area and local area facilities and equipment such as routers, switches, access routers, CMTS's, cable modems, firewalls, and IP transport.
Essential Duties for this position:
50% Defines, designs and implements Internet, MPLS, DOCIS, and Access Technology networks, security network solutions, utilizing wide area and local area facilities and equipment such as routers, switches, access routers, CMTS's, cable modems, firewalls, and IP transport. Networks and facilities will be designed to standard best practices in network engineering concepts of routing efficiency, redundancy, availability, security, IP Addressing, and scalability. Define metrics for performance for operational management and provide operating documentation, training, network documentation, and resource management systems. Set short term network architecture direction, write installation packages to support continued growth, provide network documentation and standards, be responsible for the network forecast and modeling analysis, produce capital budget justification documents, support business plan development, and lead strategic GCI projects.
30% Provides Access network support to internet products and network management systems.
§ Design Networks and facilities to standard best practices in network engineering concepts of routing efficiency, redundancy, availability, security, IP Addressing, and scalability
§ DOCSIS Network Design - Engineering Estimates and Installation Packages
§ Platform Troubleshooting / Problem Escalation Support
§ Lab Certification and Acceptance of both hardware and software
§ Short term Capital and Opex Budgeting Support
§ Project Management Related Tasks in support of network growth
§ Detailed Network Engineering Analysis and Design
§ Supporting Long Term DOCSIS and Access Technology Platform Planning, Budgeting, and Growth and New Technology Planning
§ Capacity Forecasting / Platform NMS Reporting Support
§ Supporting and Leading Strategic Company Initiatives
20% Mentor junior engineers, stay current with developing technology, and share information on technological advances.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Senior level DOCSIS, Internet, and Access Technology network platform engineering design and troubleshooting expertise
- Demonstrated detailed understanding of CableLabs, PacketCable standards
- Experience with multiple vendor DOCSIS Implementations (must include ARRIS) and implementing recommended industry best practices
- Experience with design, implementation, and troubleshooting of newer DOCSIS 3.1 based systems
- Ability to take current understanding and apply it to newer technologies and advanced capabilities
- Expert level of designing highly available IP based networks meeting stringent customer quality of experience (QOE) requirements
- Detailed understanding and design experience in both IPv4 and IPv6 and transition strategies
- Highly advanced analytical and network modeling skills involving DOCSIS and future technology-based platforms
- Evaluating and validating predicted analytical model results with after-implementation actual results
- Demonstrated practical experience in use of IP routing protocols such as ISIS, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, and others
- Detailed understanding and experience with ISP, OSP/HFC components, RF network design, and best practices
- Demonstrated understanding of scalable, secure networks considering full lifecycle design and industry best practices
- Overall detailed understanding of OSS provisioning and support processes for DOCSIS, INTERNET, and Access Technology platforms
- Expert in configuration and maintenance of highly available Unix/Linus operating systems
- Demonstrated expertise in data evaluation, analysis, and mathematical processing
- Long term planning and budget support on overall platform direction, capacity, and growth
- Future HSD and/or Access Technology network direction and long-term strategic planning support
- Highly effective in written and verbal communications along with Meeting Management skills
- Highly effective in utilizing Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and Visio for building management presentations
- Highly effective in project implementation planning and management
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills - Engineering/Professional team lead role
- Provide training to peers and other departments on future technologies
- Highest level technical escalation point for ongoing systemic issues
- Demonstrated advanced project planning and management skills
- Writing technical white papers
- Involved in strategic long-term broadband network architecture direction and planning
- Excellent people skills
· Ability to explain and present technical concepts to a wide range of audiences
Years of Experience required to meet minimum qualifications: Must have a minimum of ten years of overall Engineering experience in the Telecommunications or Networking industry; to Include at least eight years practical work experience at the technical Engineering level in Advanced IP Network Design and Implementation or Advanced DOCSIS / Access Technology Network Design and Implementation.
Level of Education required to meet minimum qualifications: High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications or related field is required. Experience as an IP, DOCSIS, or Access Technology Network Engineer, or mid-level Network Administrator may contribute to experience on a year for year basis. Or, in addition to minimum experience required; a combination of relevant work experience and/or education sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute to meet the total years required on a year-for-year basis.
Certifications: Industry specific certifications relevant to the discipline highly valued and contribute toward education requirements.
· A professional level certification such as Professional Engineer, Cisco CCNP, SANS Security, SCTE DOCSIS Engineering Professional or related equivalent highly valued. Prefer PE, Cisco CCNP, CCIE, CISSP, or Nokia SRA (Service Routing Architect) Certification
· Additional years of experience as a network engineer or an advanced college degree may substitute for the certification requirement. A recently expired professional certification may be used towards meeting this requirement
Position reports to: Network Services, Manager Access Engineering
Number of Direct Reports: None
Physical Requirements: Primarily sedentary office work with some travel to remote locations across the state of Alaska and Washington where indoor and outdoor work may be required. Physical effort may include stooping, kneeling, touching, feeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, using hand tools and repetitive motions. Clarity of vision to see near, mid-range, and color. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Working Conditions: Standard office environment, occasional travel in rural Alaska, some outside work required. Qualified candidate must be able to occasionally work in cramped spaces and at heights, primarily inside and outside of remote GCI and customer facilities. Ability to tolerate temperature and weather extremes (fumes and odors, dust, low light conditions, intermittent weather).
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record. Must be able to drive, as use of personal vehicle for transportation between various company facilities within the Anchorage area is required. Must be able to drive when in remote communities and operate ATV-style vehicles if necessary.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job.