Position Title: Cook
Job Summary: Manage food operations and compliance, while providing mass feeding food services multiple days a week.
Reports To: Corps Officer
Supervises: All volunteers and staff within the kitchen and service area
Candidates must have a passion for fulfilling the mission of The Salvation Army and must be articulate in presenting the same to others.
Candidates must successfully pass the pre-employment background inquiry and annual motor vehicle check with a valid driver’s license.
The Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of Christ. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Provide leadership to any and all staff or volunteers participating in a Mass feeding event.
- Create and maintain a monthly community meal menu that meets approved nutritional values
- Manage and maintain the cleanliness, presentation and organization of the Kitchen, food service areas, Food Pantry areas, and anyplace Food supplies are stored.
- Manage and maintain an active and correct inventory for the Meal Site and Food Pantry programs insuring proper food rotation.
- Maintain Refrigerator and freezer temperature logs
- Ensure prompt start and end times for Community meals
- Make appropriate judgement decisions on second offerings of food service, as well as dietary Alternatives
- Ensure and collect an accurate accounting of persons served, per event, per food service.
- Prepare food quantities based on the estimation of people lasted served.
- Prepare and assist with food ordering as directed
- Ensure prepared food of any quantity does not leave the premises
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Prepare food service for special events as requested
- Establish and Operate within the limitations of the budget of the Meal Site program.
- Promptly report to the Corps officer only, any needs or corrections in the area of compliance, especially in regards to FEMA.
- Maintain positive work atmosphere through appropriate conflict management, courteous demeanor, and professional and appropriate communication practices.
- Maintain compliance in The Salvation Army’s “Safe from Harm” Certification.
- Perform other duties as assigned as related to the faithful administration of The Salvation Army
- Provide food service support as directed up to and including Emergency Disaster Services located within Clinton County Iowa
Position Ranking: Regular, Part Time, Non-Exempt 20 hours a week
- Temporary status for the first ninety days
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent, related experience will be considered in lieu of.
Experience: Previous/general cooking experience preferred. `
- An overall professional demeanor along with the ability to maintain a Serve Safe Certificate for food service and preparation. This can also be secured within 30 days of hire if necessary.
- Ability to propose food service policies and procedures, holding others accountable to the same.
- Proficiency in food preparation and presentation that meets or exceeds the standard of excellent quality
- The ability to maintain their work area to the highest standards, including OSHA compliance.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage people and projects successfully and timely.
- Team player, self-starter, and perform well with minimal supervision.
- Must have an interest and ability to work with people of diverse racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience or capacity to demonstrate positive interpersonal skills and work as a cooperative team member.
- Must be able to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary. Especially in emergent situations.
Physical Demands/ Work Environment:
This Position is required to do food preparation, sanitation, and custodial works as it pertains to the food service needs of the Salvation Army. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the individual is regularly required to talk and listen, stand, walk, sit and use hands. Individual must be able to regularly lift up to 50 pounds and occassionally lift up to 75 pounds. The use of kitchen and food service equipment is necessary. Vision abilities will require close vision. Work may be performed indoors and occasionally outdoors for meetings. There is low to moderate noise level for this position.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.