Reports To: Program Director
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location: Mountains base camps near Jonas Ridge and Brevard, NC
(Remote, community living situation located 1 - 1.5 hours outside of Asheville, NC in the Pisgah National Forrest)
Supervision Responsibility: None
ACA Position Category: Variable
Anticipated Work Dates:
– Table Rock Base Camp: February 15 - October 31, 2021
– Cedar Rock Base Camp: March 8 - October 31, 2021
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of South Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Facilities Manager is responsible for the daily upkeep, maintenance, and repair of facilities, grounds, and vehicles at the base camp. They will work closely with the Program Director, Program Resource Manager (PRM), and Facilities Director (FD) in managing daily tasks and assist with major capital projects that are occurring at the base camp.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the base leadership team in maintaining a positive and professional work environment and living community at base camp.
- Assist with repairs and maintenance of structures on base camp and grounds. Any major repairs to be in consultation with the PD, FD, and Director of Wilderness Operations (DWO).
- Manage the trash and recycling areas, including taking the trash and recycling off base to the dump and recycling facility.
- Manage the workshop, its upkeep, inventory, and security of all tools and supplies.
- Ensure that site workspaces (including workshops and outdoor workspaces) and site work operations meet OSHA workplace health and safety guidelines.
- Be fiscally responsible for the Maintenance and Repair budget. Track all expenses.
- Train and supervise other staff doing site work to ensure they are following relevant OSHA and Job Safety Analysis guidelines.
- Organize Work Week projects, and service projects as assigned by the Program Director.
- Maintain maintenance records and document all site work and staff training performed.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of the heating systems. Purchase wood and propane as needed (if applicable).
- Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the base campfire hydrant system.
- Oversee annual inspection of fire extinguishers. Maintain records.
- Maintain smoke and CO detectors, test monthly during months of operation.
- Assist in planning and implementing fire drills at base camp to train staff effectively and test equipment.
- Oversee the maintenance and testing of the water wells and pumps – Cedar Rock and Sunset Island only. Testing to be conducted annually at the opening and closing of base camp at a minimum.
- Work closely with Program Director, Program Resources Manager, Land Managers in managing hazardous trees and underbrush clearance around all structures.
- Manage upkeep of grounds, including lawn mowing and trimming of vegetation.
- Manage roads on base camp and oversee the ordering of gravel and other materials to ensure all roads are draining effectively and have minimal potholes and wash-boards (if applicable).
- Manage the water drain off systems including clearing culverts and keeping ditches dug out and clear of debris.
Vehicles, Trailers, and Boats (if applicable):
- Manage bi-monthly vehicle and trailer inspections. Ensure oil changes, tire rotations, state inspections, and needed repairs are completed.
- Work with the Program Director and Associate Program Resource Manager to maintain vehicle records.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Program Director.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity.
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- Prior experience working in this field of work preferred.
- Cooperative attitude and adaptability a must.
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful circumstances.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to be flexible in response to changing needs.
- Understanding of basic carpentry, plumbing, and electrical systems is a plus.
- Ability to pass Background and Motor Vehicle screening and drive school vehicles.
- Ability to drive a tractor – Table Rock and Cedar Rock only
- Ability to use a variety of power tools, including chain saws.
- Good writing/computer skills and strong communication abilities.
- Understanding of Outward Bound methodology, and the mission of NCOBS.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Estimated 22 days / month for the length of the agreement. Salary is a per-diem rate based on previous experience and qualification for the position. ($72 - $108 / day)
- Pay increases available based on NCOBS seasonal pay matrix and days worked in the position.
- Room and board provided.
- Use of NCOBS program equipment
- Ability to attend professional development trainings for rock climbing and white-water canoeing at no cost.
- Base camps with expansive recreational opportunities nearby (Linville Gorge, Pisgah NF, Outer Banks).
- Pro-purchase deals with outdoor-industry gear retailers.
The N.C. Mountains base camps are comprised of several buildings including larger office and warehouse structures that support the wilderness operations of the school. Base camps are approximately 30-45 minutes from the nearest town and embody a community living environment.
You will be assigned a staff cabin space that you will have to yourself or share with one staff member. Staff cabins are rustic but comfortable; laundry, showers, internet, a group kitchen, and recreational spaces are all available at the base camps.
Daily meals are provided when working. lunch and dinner are made each day by the Kitchen Manager. While all food is provided, staff are expected to make their own breakfast.
- Qualified applicants should apply through our careers webpage by completing an application and providing a cover letter and resume.
- We are hiring for two (2) positions. One position will be located at our Cedar Rock base camp near Brevard, NC and the other will be located at our Table Rock base camp near Jonas Ridge, NC. Please indicate in your cover letter if you have a preference of base camp location.
- The identified start timeline for both locations is early February. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis in January 2021.
- These positions will remain open until filled.
The North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) prohibits discrimination against and harassment of any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
Powered by JazzHR