The industrial engineer will find ways to prevent waste and inefficiency in production processes. They will design efficient systems that integrate workers, information, machines, energy and materials to make products or provide services. The industrial engineer will also design equipment to coordinate production planning to minimize production issues and costs while ensuring products meet quality standards. They will design, develop and maintain manufacturing routes to maximize effectiveness, efficiency and space. The industrial engineer will also make sure the company complies with all industry standards for safety while meeting design standards and guidelines. They will also work in a support role as needed on less complex projects.
- Review production information to understand methods and activities in production and services. This includes, but is not limited to, production schedules, process flows and engineering specs.
- Design control systems to minimize and resolve production issues and project costs.
- Create systems and plan production to ensure all products meet quality control standards.
- Develop standards for production and design by working with clients and management.
- Apply statistical methods and perform mathematical calculations to determine production processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Coordinate quality control objectives and activities to resolve production problems, maximize product reliability, and minimize cost.
- Confer with vendors, staff, and management personnel regarding purchases, procedures, product specifications, manufacturing capabilities, and project status.
- Draft and design layout of equipment, materials, and workspace to illustrate maximum efficiency, using drafting tools and computer with software such as AutoCAD.
- Review production schedules, engineering specifications, orders, and related information to obtain knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, and activities.
- Communicate with management and user personnel to develop production and design standards.
- Estimate production cost and effect of product design changes for management review, action, and control.
- Formulate sampling procedures and designs and develop forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and/or reliability data.
- Record or oversee recording of information to ensure currency of engineering drawings and documentation of production problems.
- Study operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
- Direct workers engaged in product measurement, inspection, and testing activities to ensure quality control and reliability.
- Implement methods and procedures for disposition of discrepant material and defective or damaged parts, materials, or product and assess cost and responsibility.
- Evaluate precision and accuracy of production and testing equipment and engineering drawings to formulate corrective action plan.
- Analyze statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and establish quality and reliability objectives of finished product.
- Develop manufacturing methods, labor utilization standards, and cost analysis systems to promote efficient staff and facility utilization.
- Recommend methods utilizing lean manufacturing for improving utilization of personnel, material, and utilities.
- Plan and establish sequence of operations to fabricate and assemble parts or products and to promote efficient utilization.
- Complete production reports, purchase orders, and material, tool, and equipment lists.
- Schedule deliveries based on production forecasts, material substitutions, storage and handling facilities, and maintenance requirements.
- Regulate and alter workflow schedules according to established manufacturing sequences and lead times to expedite production operations.
- Provides technical support to other process disciplines and production personnel for release of new production programs and procedures. Assists in the transition from development to standardize production methods.
- Participates in equipment maintenance procedures, and repair of equipment and systems in facility installation procedures.
- Provides peer review in production environment and optimization projects.
- Accredited College Degree in Industrial Engineering (5+ year’s experience desired)
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Lean Manufacturing
- The candidate should have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The candidate must be a self-starter with the capacity/desire to be a team-lead on various projects.
- The candidate should have strong critical thinking skills to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- A strong understanding of measurement, engineering principles, and equipment.
- A strong understanding of Industrial Engineering principles and process knowledge.
- Efficient at writing work instructions, technical dialog and English as a speaking language in work instruction development.
- Strong math skills including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Lean manufacturing projects with proven cost reduction and efficiency gains.
- Use and understanding of raw materials, production processes, quality control, process flow mapping, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Use of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Kitting work cell layouts, production line layouts and line balancing
- Six Sigma Black Belt (Preferred)
- Time studies
- Process Control Plans, PFMEA, FMEA
- Management and customer support experience
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming a plus
- Experience with filling equipment
- Environmental regulatory and OSHA
- Hard working, motivated, and ready to make a difference through improvements.