Responsible for direct supervision, of Waste Management Technician job functions including daily work assignments. Typical job responsibilities include weekly/daily task coordination and supporting management in ensuring that the site Waste Management function operates in a manner that is safe, cost effective and fully compliant with VNSFS procedures and all regulatory requirements. The specific work assignment may include duties or activities that assist and support management in one or more of the following functional areas, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Ensures workers are trained to support Waste Management functional areas such as container inventory control, waste tracking, waste inventory and storage control, certification, transportation, or other related areas.
- Sets site objects and activities through experience-based knowledge of specific procedures, plans and policies as well as basic knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and standards.
- Provides input to the development of technical reports.
- Provides administrative and/or functional support to the Waste Management team.
- Performs duties of general/routine complexity in nature.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Maintains knowledge of and demonstrates ability to perform work safely in accordance with all approved safety policies, procedures and applicable regulations and performs assigned duties in a safe manner.
- Actively participates in Safety Work Groups.
Due to the variety of work that is performed by Waste Mgt Technicians there may be the potential for work within an environmental restoration atmosphere (outdated and/or abandoned facilities). The following conditions and requirements may apply:
- Must be able to operate motorized lift truck equipment.
- Must be familiar with working around heavy equipment and trucking operations
- Must be capable of training staff on motorized lift truck equipment
- Must be capable of reviewing and approving hoisting and rigging plans as required
- Preferred familiarity with intermodal container maintenance
- Preferred familiarity with radioactive material control programs
- Preferred familiarity with compliance issues related to Waste Acceptance Criteria
- Potential exposure to equipment movement hazards, dangerous chemicals/solvents, or hazardous and radioactive materials if proper safety procedures are not followed.
- Ability to wear respirator and other protective equipment to enter various types of potentially hazardous areas (such as but not limited to chemical, dust fumes, mists, heat stress factors, etc.).
- Ability to carry several instruments/equipment or tools while walking extensively. Potential prolonged walking/standing, repeated pushing/pulling.
- Potential for prolonged driving of or riding in a motor vehicle, machine operation, and/or working around moving equipment/machinery or motorized vehicles (such as but not limited to car, truck, golf cart, gator, heavy equipment).
- Ability to work in confined areas, tanks, heat stress conditions, high noise and areas with radiation and chemical hazards.
- Environmental conditions may include weather or temperature extremes, inclement weather (such as but not limited to wind, rain, excessive heat, excessive cold, snow/ice, etc.)
- Radiological worker and HAZWOPER training required.
- May be required to operate company vehicle during the course of work. All safety and DOT regulations and procedures must be adhered to at all times.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of, and experience with, nuclear facility operations
- Knowledge of, and experience with, nuclear facility safety including technical safety requirements, processes and reporting requirements
- Attention to detail
- Intermediate PC skills including Microsoft software
Required Experience, Minimum Requirements
- High school diploma, and 10 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Must be able to complete site specific training and comply with site specific policies and rules
- Must be able to pass Radiation Worker Training and 40-hour HAZWOPER training and up to date 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher training
- Must be a US Citizen with a REAL ID to gain access on the Government Installation.