Medical Laboratory Technician / MLT - $3,000 Sign-On Bonus for Full TimeLocation: Tuscaloosa County (Tuscaloosa or Northport) Shift: Variable Working Hours: Variable
Job Brief:Provides quality laboratory results for inpatient and outpatient customers according to established policies and procedures.
Performance PlanningProvides quality laboratory results for inpatient and outpatient customers according to established policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Performs both basic and advanced emergency, therapeutic, and diagnostic laboratory procedures with knowledge regarding age-specific laboratory needs of neonatal, pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients. May perform waived and moderate complexity testing.
- Calibrates, standardizes, operates, maintains, and troubleshoots various instruments following established procedures. Performs quality control to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, and procedures. Recognizes instrument malfunctions or out-of-control test results and takes appropriate corrective action.
- Responsible for all documentation required for the tasks performed.
- Adheres to infection control and safety practices according to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for training and teaching theory and practical applications to others as directed by laboratory management. Participates and/or assists in teaching continuing education courses.
- Inventories and stocks supplies. Checks, inspects, and ensures proper storage and handling.
- Answers inquiries about test results, methodology, specificity, and sensitivity.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Experience RequiredBoard certification, or certification eligible, in Laboratory Science by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or the American Medical Technologists (AMT) is required. Applicants, who have graduated from a Clinical/Medical Laboratory program within the previous six months, will have 18 months to obtain board certification to remain qualified for this position.
Abilities are demonstrated in the areas of assigned responsibilities by successful completion of annual laboratory competency testing. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
- Must possess manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Able to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time, reach, and bend.
- Is able to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Vision and hearing must be normal or corrected to within normal. Normal color vision for those tasks requiring color differentiation.
- Includes exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, laboratory chemicals, and hazardous material. Requires wearing common protective or safety equipment.
- Physical presence on site is essential.
- Able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Frequent interaction with others in the Laboratory and other departments in person, by telephone, or by email, to resolve issues with patient care that are impacted by laboratory testing. Due to the emotional and/or emergency nature of patient care some customers may be unpleasant, angry, or discourteous in their requests for Laboratory services.
About DCH Health System:
For over 90 years, when the people of West Alabama needed healthcare, they’ve turned to DCH Health System.
Based in Tuscaloosa, AL, DCH Health System has been providing quality and compassionate healthcare to the residents of West Alabama. Comprised of DCH Regional Medical Center, Northport Medical Center and Fayette Medical Center, the DCH Health System provides comprehensive services in: cancer treatment, critical care, cardiac services, bloodless medicine, home health care, sleep medicine, occupational medicine, sports medicine, spine/pain care, therapy services, women’s services and much more!