The Principal Engineer (Civil) will work directly with Senior Engineers to develop detailed designs and analysis of civil/structural engineering. Examples included site layout, structural calculations and design for industrial and nuclear applications. Shall be self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented individual who can work well on a team and independently in a fast-paced environment. The Principal Engineer is responsible for design, development, implementation and analysis of technical products and systems. In addition, performs engineering design evaluations and provides recommendations on alterations to development and design to improve quality of products and/or procedures.
Responsibilities may include:
- Participating in multidiscipline design teams to develop detailed designs
- Working independently to develop specific design media to meet client design criteria and objectives
- Development and/or review of design media that will be issued for construction
- Preparing design drawings, design calculations, equipment procurement specifications, fabrication and construction specifications
- Reviewing and evaluating customer design criteria and interpreting and applying design codes and standard to ensure design products conform to approved design criteria, preparing or reviewing design calculations and design drawings or sketches for correctness and accuracy
- Develops and applies broad knowledge of principles and practices in a specific area
- Evaluates, selects, and applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects with few complex features.
- Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations methods for non-routine aspects or assignments
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects
- Prepares project documents
- Formulates and solves problems
- Assists with proposals
- For Engineering Staff to:
- Protect health and safety
- Attend project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignments
- Interacts with clients, customers, officials and contractors
- To Manager and or Project Manager of Engineering for:
- Stewardship of assigned resources
- Complete approved Engineering Plans on time, on budget and in accordance with expectations, including delivery in a safe and secure manner
- Compliance with VNSFS policies and procedures
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in engineering design
- PE Preferred
- DOE or Hanford Experience strongly preferred
- Working Knowledge of national codes and standards such as IBC, ASCE-7, ACI, and AISC
- Working knowledge of finite element analyses codes (i.e., ANSY, SAP2000, etc.)
- Familiarity with MathCAD and AutoCAD/Civil 3 D/Solidworks preferred
Possess excellent written and oral communications skills as well as excellent computer skills that are relevant to job applications.
Ability to pass a background check.