The Principal Designer is responsible for utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) software to create technical drawings for complex projects and serves in a lead role over other designers and/or drafters. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Converses with project management, clients, engineers and design staff to interpret design concepts, determine nature and type of required detailed working drawings, and coordinate work with others.
- Use software to produces complex drawings in accordance with specific contract requirements.
- Ensures that the drawings are being produced to the correct standard and that client or VNSFS procedures are being followed.
- Develop CAD project plan which sets the CAD standards to be used on a project.
- Serve as lead designer for projects and responsible for coordinating with project management and engineering to ensure deliverables are on time.
- Assign CAD work with the aid of the project manager and design group manager.
- Perform all work safely and in compliance with VNSFS policies and procedures.
- Review other designers’ and drafters’ work to ensure high quality and compliance to procedures.
- Provide assistance and mentoring to designers and drafters when required.
- Provide drawings and drawing status to Engineering Staff in a timely matter.
- Perform work within budgeted hours and provide status to responsible manager.
- Support project management and engineering in the development of cost estimates for design projects.
- Work with project management in resource allocations and work assignments.
Education & Certifications:
- Associate degree or equivalent experience.
- CAD certification is strongly desired.
Experience & Requirements:
- A minimum of 15 years of experience utilizing CAD software (AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks).
- Able to generate layout drawings from sketches and specifications.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.