SEARHC is a non-profit health consortium which serves the health interests of the residents of Southeast Alaska. We see our employees as our strongest assets. It is our priority to further their development and our organization by aiding in their professional advancement.
Working at SEARHC is more than a job, it’s a fulfilling career. We offer generous benefits, including retirement, paid time off, paid parental leave, health, dental, and vision benefits, life insurance and long and short-term disability, and more.
This position functions within the pharmacy department and its primary purpose is to assure efficacious, safe, and cost-effective drug therapy and appropriate outcomes in the use of drugs and medicines. To prepare and distribute medications according to Federal and State law, provide patient counseling and education, and to advise the medical, nursing, and village staff on drug therapy. Select and maintain an appropriate drug inventory. Formulate and participate in quality improvement activities. The services directly impact the healthcare of our patients. Performs in a professional manner, respects confidentiality, and demonstrates qualities endorsed by following the seven Standards for Service Excellence outlined in the SEARHC Human Resources Manual.
Independent professional judgment is used prior to the filling and dispensing of each prescription in order to evaluate it for appropriateness and safety. If any question arises, the prescriber must be consulted and recommendations for the alternate therapy are made by the pharmacist. Judgment failure could seriously affect the health care of one or more individuals. Independent judgment is also used to counsel patients, pharmacist must verify that patients understand their medications and appropriate outcomes of drug therapy. Counseling can directly increase medication compliance and decrease patient morbidity. Decision making is required in the Drug Utilization Evaluation process. This review performed by the pharmacist results in better patient care, educates medical staff, and can result in cost-savings to the clinic. Decision making is required in the formulation of policy and procedure which affects the overall operation of the department.
- Reviews all prescriptions for appropriateness of therapy, legality, completeness, contraindications, interactions, allergies, adverse drug reaction, lab value abnormalities and follow up by screening patient’s chart. Provides clinical consultation and clarification and resolves any concerns or questions with prescriber prior to dispensing. Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely. Enters prescriptions into pharmacy software.
- Verifies finished prescription orders in a timely manner. These orders must be filled accurately while maintaining all required record keeping and documentation. Works independently with minimal supervision. Organizes and prioritizes work assignments. Ensures pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner.
- Advises patients clearly and accurately regarding their medications and appropriate outcomes and verifies patient understanding. The information will include the indication for which the patient is taking the medication, the drug name and strength, how it is used, and what changes to expect. Communicates regularly with patients as well as health care providers within and outside of our facility to resolve problems and provide optimal care.
- Performs chart reviews for prescription refills and medication therapy management. Writes recommendations for providers and requests prescription refills on the patient’s behalf. Provides drug information, drug therapy consultation and staff education relating to drug therapy.
- Directs pharmacy support personnel. Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians. Serves as a role model and educator of pharmacy students and technicians. May supervise a support person in the accomplishment of individual tasks, but does not have overall supervisory authority for the support personnel.
- Participates in clinical and administrative activities including quality control and quality improvement within the department and clinic. Attends meetings and participates on committees as requested. Assures availability, preparation and control of medications. Selects appropriate drugs for formulary. Takes on additional departmental duties and responsibilities as assigned. Works in pharmacy run clinics.
- Provide health promotion and disease prevention activities related to drug use and preventative drug therapy.
- D. degree and licensure as a registered pharmacist. Candidates licensed prior to 2003 with a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree will be considered with 3 years of experience in hospital and/or ambulatory clinic pharmacy. There is no equivalent substitution for the degree.
- Completion of a nationally recognized (by ASHP) pharmacy residency program preferred.
- An unrestricted license as a registered pharmacist in any state.
- Certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (CPR and AED, may be obtained within 1 year of hire).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In order to work efficiently as part of the medical team; it is necessary to be proficient at reviewing the patient’s medical history, labs, and medications orders using an in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical sciences.
- Filling prescriptions also requires unerring knowledge of state and federal laws governing the practice of pharmacy.
- The Pharmacist must provide care appropriate to the needs of patients of all ages.
- Must be able to communicate both orally and in writing to patients and staff.
- Must have a working knowledge of computer application skills.
- Math skills are required in the accurate calculation of drug dosages both oral and intravenous and to compound formulations.
- Ability to work cooperatively within health system and pharmacy staff and exercise sound professional judgment.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, make critical decisions, and respond quickly to emergency requests.