NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The hospital is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU Langone Hospital – Brooklyn, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Services Associate.
In this role, the successful candidate performs diversified duties in the patient access departments. Duties will vary depending on the needs of the work in the specific area. Duties include but are not limited to: coordinating registration and ED unit clerk functions, triaging and reviewing daily work to ensure prioritization and minimal backlog, insurance verification, financial assistance assessment, billing and follow up activities.
- Complies with HIPAA, OSHA, JCAHO, LMC policies and procedures
- Complies with HIPAA, OSHA, JCAHO, LMC policies and procedures
- Demonstrates an awareness of and respect for co-workers/patients' cultural background, treating people with fairness and respect
- Works with others toward shared goals including participation in department problem-solving and improvement activities
- Cooperates in working with co-workers, other medical center staff, and outside agencies
- Fosters an environment that promotes teamwork
- Meets attendance & punctuality guidelines
- Meets annual mandatory education requirements
- Completes goals and assigned projects in a timely manner
- Accepts direction from Supervisor willingly
- Utilizes all available resources to reach sound decisions
- Maintains computer skills
- Performs general office duties such as adding toner and paper to printers, filing, answering telephones, transmitting messages, opening, sorting and delivering mail, as required.
- Maintains accurate information regarding insurances, contacts and insurance coverage, as well as the institutions
- Charity Care Policies and Procedures
- Orders, receives and maintains adequate forms, supplies, and charts necessary for the functioning of the department
- Maintains productivity and quality statistics, reviews assigned daily work
- Assists in the training/re-training of staff
- Speaks clearly and writes in a well-organized manner
- Works effectively in unfamiliar situations and responds positively to change
- Is willing to extend beyond basic duties in critical situations
- Performs any additional duties related to Patient Accounts, Admitting and/or Finance as directed
- Medicaid Financial Counseling:1.Conducts face to face interviews with patients or their respective representatives in a courteous and professional manner for the purpose of screening patients to determine eligibility for financial programs (Medicaid, Hill Burton)2.Obtains appropriate documentation on a timely basis to support application3.Accurately prepares application for submission 4.Processes and submits application on a timely basis5.Enters and updates insurance and patient information timely and accurately into all computer systems 6.Refers accounts as appropriate, and in a timely manner, to Supervisor for referral to collectionPrints and manages work lists, patient letters and Medicaid Correspondence7.Use insurance management functions to update account and prepare claim for billingCoordinates the daily workflow to ensure that accounts are completed timely and accurately
- Emergency Department:1.Performs registrations of emergency room visits promptly and accurately, including accurately adding insurance, accident information and account notes, reviews and completes MSPs as required. 2.Ability to accurately change names, change patient types and transfer patients3.Obtains demographic and financial information from patient/family in a courteous and sensitive manner, securing signatures, copying insurance cards, updating computer system, printing chats and labels.4.Screens patients to determine eligibility for Medicaid, provides self-pay patients with Charity Care and Medicaid notice, and refers accounts to Medicaid Area5.Calls appropriate insurance carrier to notify of visit and/or request authorization for admission, and documents account accordingly6.Verifies insurance and obtains EMEVS authorization for all Medicaid patients and updates account7.Completes inpatient admissions for patients admitted through the ED timely and accurately. This includes securing missing information, procuring bed assignment and updating computer system8.Tracks patients in the ED9.Enters charges, updates physician fields prepares charts for the medical records department and maintains ED Log in a satisfactorily manner10.Answers phones in a timely manner, refers calls and pages appropriate parties. 11.Answers questions and provides information regarding the medical center's policies and procedures related to admission, distributes patient handbooks and Medicaid application information letter12.When applicable, distributes HIPPA Privacy Notice and obtains patient acknowledgment of receipt of notice.13.Places laboratory and radiology orders and assures that clinical results are placed in ED chart, as needed14.Accurately complete the Admission Consult Sheet for all admitted patients, including following the Voluntary Physician Referral Program procedures15.Works cooperatively with Emergency Department and medical center staff16.Coordinates the daily workflow to ensure that ED accounts are processed accurately and timely.
- Insurance Verification :1.Verifies insurance/address information for billing and notification purposes and initiates appropriate procedures to maintain accurate patient/insurance records including correction and updating of demographic and insurance information and verification.2.Ability to add insurance accurately3.Screens patients to determine eligibility for Medicaid and refers accounts accordingly4.Verify insurance recipient/policy number and effective dates of service, on EMEVS, MedE, OMNI or using other insurance verification tools, to insure that number and plan is correct, correct if necessary and update account on a timely basis5.Calls insurance companies to verify insurance and secure authorization number for admission/procedure and update account on a timely basis. 6.Prepares admission folders, pulls discharge folders and files accounts daily7.Reviews and completes MSPs as required8.Coordinates the daily workflow to ensure that accounts are completed timely and accurately
- Admitting Office:1.Performs registrations/admissions promptly and accurately, including accurately adding insurance, accident information and account notes, reviews and completes MSPs as required Obtains demographic and financial information from patient/family in a courteous and sensitive manner, securing signatures, copying insurance cards, updating computer system, printing charts and labels, and escorting patient to unit when necessary, in an accurate and timely manner.2.Ability to accurately change names, change patient types and transfer patients3.Calls appropriate insurance carrier to notify of visit and/or request authorization for admission, and documents account accordingly4.Screens patients to determine eligibility for Medicaid and refers accounts to Medicaid Area5.Verifies insurance recipient/policy number and effective dates of service, on EMEVS, MedE, OMNI or using other insurance verification tools and accurately updates account accordingly, on a timely basis6.Calls insurance companies to verify insurance and secure authorization number for admission/procedure and update account accordingly, on a timely basis 7.Answers questions and provides information regarding the medical center's policies and procedures related to admitting, outpatient services, and financial matters, distributes patient handbooks, and charity care/Medicaid information8.Interprets hospital regulations to patients9.Makes decisions to facilitate departmental workflow in presence or absence of supervisor10.When applicable, distributes HIPPA Privacy Notice and obtains patient acknowledgement of receipt of notice11.Maintains appropriate documentation of expirations, filing of death certificates and organ donation in an accurate and timely manner12.Facilitates bed procurements, patient transfers, performs bed rounds and maintains bed board in an accurate and timely manner13.Prepares admission folders, print reports, census and schedules
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma or equivalent required. 2+ years relevant experience. Strong customer service and communication skills. Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook. Familiarity or prior experience with office setting. Prior customer service experience. Must be articulate with good interpersonal skills. Must have knowledge of computer keyboard able to type a minimum of 20 words per minute. Must be able to accurately enter data. Willingness to devote the time required completing assigned tasks on schedule.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital- Brooklyn's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $44,299.59 - $46,699.78 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.